Sign in to follow this  
NM_Shedder

Sheds

What's the reason you shed hunt? For fun, for the money?

I know there is a lot of money in shed hunting, but, I do it for fun. I've sold a few, but I like the antlers I've found. A lot has gone into what we've found. If I sold the antlers in my room, I would probably have a few thousand at least, probably more, but I'm not in it for the money, I do it cause I enjoy it. People think I'm crazy since I'm not in it for the money, but I really don't care, the money isn't why I enjoy it.

So, what's your reason for shed hunting?

• Like 4

I've never specifically hunted them, but have picked a few up here and there while scouting/hunting. They are all currently used as decorations in our home. My wife and I thought it would be fun to do our first actual shed hunting trip with the kids in a few weeks. Our goal is mostly to get up to the mountains for some fun and little hiking with the kids. Any sheds we find will be a bonus. Anything we find would be kept for additional decorating in our house.

• Like 6

Getting out and just hiking the mountains is an amazing part of it. Hope you enjoy that trip when you do it.

• Like 3

I have no problem selling them. For me, it is half for the money, half for being in nature and getting exercise. I really like off trail hiking and shed hunting is a great excuse for that.

I have to find enough first to decide what I would do with them. I would most likely end up keeping them though. I just like getting out of this POS valley.

• Like 1

Fun and exercise!

• Like 3

I sell about half the sheds I find in order to finance the hunts. Haven't sold any to buyers, I've found a better, more profitable route.

Gets me out in the wild where I can get the urban stink blown off me.

• Like 3

For fun. I selfishly wish that selling sheds was not allowed. It sure would solve a lot of problems with the way things are heading.

I want sheds to be worthless in price again. I loved it when there weren't so many people. I still love it, but so many people are making it harder. Last shed season, we went to a good spot of ours, and this guy with horses followed us in there, raced us up the ridge, and down. I crossed a snow bank up to my waist cause he was just up the ridge from me. If I had crossed him, my words wouldn't have been pleasant towards him or his buddy.

For fun. I selfishly wish that selling sheds was not allowed. It sure would solve a lot of problems with the way things are heading.

I want sheds to be worthless in price again. I loved it when there weren't so many people. I still love it, but so many people are making it harder. Last shed season, we went to a good spot of ours, and this guy with horses followed us in there, raced us up the ridge, and down. I crossed a snow bank up to my waist cause he was just up the ridge from me. If I had crossed him, my words wouldn't have been pleasant towards him or his buddy.
dang those horse guys!

Both for fun and money. I'll keep any real big horns or unique horns. Other than that they get sold.

I usually do it for the fun and just trying to find them. I've never found enough in a season so warrant selling any. This year, I have a couple of projects that need funding, so I may go the fun the route JSR describes. Keep big/cool ones and sell others (assuming I can find enough).

If anyone needs a partner, I'm always willing and good with keeping secrets!

I do it for the thrill. I still run when I see one like its going to jump up and run off. Coming out of cold winter its nice to get off the slopes and back into the woods. Fun to see what made it through last fall and winter. Just an added benefit that they bring money. I have sold them at $6.00 a pound and at $14.00 a pound. As much as I like looking at them the green $$ in my pocket feels better. And lets face it you can always go out and find my. Selling them isnt the problem. Its the lazy bastards on quads that are the problem and they have been there long before prices have gone up. I would rather park my truck in the garage than store horns and the piles just add up.

IMG_0389.jpg

post-12676-0-61266000-1456430912_thumb.jpg

• Like 2