Sign in to follow this  
CatfishKev

Guide Schools

My want to be a part time guide really isn't about the money and I totally get that when it's work the fun does fade away. It's really about scratching the itch and becoming a good hunter to teach my wife and kids and help friends. I'm not wanting to spend the entire winter away from my wife and kids. If I cant be a guide and be there for my family I just wont be a guide.

I figured I could pay a guide $4-5K to take me on one guided trophy bull trip or pay to learn the basics and work with a few outfitters on a part time basis just to learn the ropes in AZ vs Montana.

Once it becomes a chore I will stop and happily walk away with the knowledge learned. I get that helping other people hunt is a great way to learn but I'd rather learn from actual guides. With the personality I have I suppose I would carry that pressure for wanting to fill a clients tag.

Edge, the picture of the horses with the range in the background is awesome. I would love to go on a couple trips to at least get my feet wet and see if it's something I really want to pursue. My main reservation with some of the apprenticeships is being "owned" and then expected to work for the same guy forever or be expected to "overwork" myself and ended up hating it all together. I love to hunt and I love the outdoors and never want to find my self in the position where I no longer love it. That being said I will definitely take you up on the offer. Do you do many weekend trips?

Guiding is certainly a labor of love. I spent one archery season as a guide in Montana 25 years ago. It was a great experience, but if I divided my paycheck versus all the hours I worked over a 5 day hunt, I probably made $7.00 an hour plus tips if I was lucky. The outfitter I worked for was a real A-hole. He treated his horses better than me..

post-1241-0-90180000-1457205135_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Guiding is certainly a labor of love. I spent one archery season as a guide in Montana 25 years ago. It was a great experience, but if I divided my paycheck versus all the hours I worked over a 5 day hunt, I probably made $7.00 an hour plus tips if I was lucky. The outfitter I worked for was a real A-hole. He treated his horses better than me..

He didn't brush you or pick out your hooves?

I can see pack animals coming back into vogue. The way these lib Presidents are trying to stake their legacy is cutting out monuments and Wilderness Areas. Selling a guided hunt on horseback and back into primitive areas in the sw has to be more about the experience, not the trophy's in my opinion if you can't be out there weekly finding the record breakers.

I also wish AZ could recognize the difference between guides and outfitters.

• Like 2

Guiding as a hobby, or pastime can be fun, but it is still a job funded by clients who are looking to bag game. Hunting with a client who is in reasonably good shape, willing to put in the effort, and listen to the guide, can be a fun hunt. A client who is lazy, demanding, and has unrealistic expectations, will certainly test your patience and resolve.

• Like 3

I just cook then glass will the guides work no stress and I see plenty.. them boys do work there buts off for probably average less then $10.00 an horn and destroy there gear. Keep working and save and do a couple DIY hunts on off time. Or Dwaine Adams

Guiding can be great. It can also be a nightmare...on many different levels.

Here's some advice:

Save the $5k you'd spend on an "apprentice program" and put it towards something that will actually pay off in the guiding profession (extra fuel/time in the field, optics, gear, etc).

Scout. A lot.

Donate your time and efforts in helping family and friends successfully take different species in AZ. You'll be building a "portfolio" and gaining invaluable experience.

Talk to as many guides as possible. Listen to their pros and cons. Most will be painfully honest. It's a love/hate relationship.

Finally, if you do decide to do it, understand that even though it's "part-time", it requires more time away from your family than you think. Especially if you want to be good at it. Even if it's a week or so a month for 4-5 months straight....it adds up real fast.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Kills a couple a couple elk, is a guide now.

Don't know if thats directed at me, if it is it seems like an a-hole comment. If I was claiming to be a guide or anywhere near I wouldn't be asking about guide school now would I?? It's simply to establish some sort of base line of where I am as a hunter. Not totally green but wanna soak in as much as possible. But thanks for your useless contribution.

• Like 1

Go to New Mexico. Everyone there is a guide..............BOB!

• Like 1

Im not entirely sure what a guiding schools you mention could actually teach you other than the main use of horses/mules. While that is a big major skill I don't think it has anything to do with actually killing animals. The undertaking involved with getting into that style of hunting is very expensive.

I have taken quit a few people out scouting/hunting. Shown them some techniques etc. Does that mean that they are any better at hunting. I am not really sure. In some ways yes, in others no. My thoughts are you really need to be GOOD at hunting before you attempt actually guiding someone. I have a pretty good track record when it comes to coues deer yet I am still uncomfortable guiding people,

I have actually done quit a bit of guiding myself. I love hunting especially for Coues. It is my ultimate passion. But speaking from personal experience it really is a big undertaking. Like mentioned above.......would you hire yourself to guide you. What would be your expectations of your "guide" when you show up for a hunt? Bottom line for me personally is that I would want to be guided exactly like I hunt for myself. Basically knowing that I am hunting a specific animal. Showing up to hunt with a guy that randomly takes me out to places hoping to get lucky??? NOT MY STYLE!!! What that entails is an exceptional amount of scouting and pre-preparation. Knowing places and ANIMALS inside and out. Knowing that their is actually an animal there that is "worthy" of taking. Thats a TON of work IMO. Being able to put in the effort to make someones hunt a success really is more than a lot of people think. If you are worried about taking time away from family, you already have a big negative towards the occupation simply due to the reasons I just mentioned.

To me it sounds like you would be more in line to being what most people these days call a helper/spotter. While a lot of people frown upon it, there are some outfitters that are looking for people good at glassing and locating game to strategically put in places to do exactly that. Help by covering some certain chunk of country. Doesn't entail much pre-knowledge/time/commitment other than showing up. Simply stated 'we want you to go "here"' and glass for the day and report your findings. Obviously there is still some skill required but it gets you in the game of the guiding world and would give you the opportunity to see more of what its all about.

Again to me......There are people that are inherently good at hunting and actually are "qualified" to guide. Does that mean you kill the biggest scoring animals year in and year out? Not necessarily.......But you need to really be good at hunting before you actually decide to take people out to do the same.

Just my 2 cents.

• Like 2

I think a lot of people think that guided hunt = giant animal. This is NOT the case. Some of the elite guides consistantly take larger than average animals, but not all guides do. Same goes for the paying client. Some Clients are trophy hunting, and some are just wanting to learn how to hunt and are sick of coming home empty handed. I know of plenty of people that have paid for a guide, came home with an average, or sometimes even below average animal and are tickled to death. Everyone has their reason for hiring a guide, and not all are looking to shoot a 400" bull or a 110" coues.

My point being, if you want to become a guide, go for it. Start with a lesser known guide service, and be one of their guides. They cover the permits and insurance, and you are simply guiding. Guiding can be rewarding and difficult at the same time. Good luck

• Like 1

I think most good hunters or guides that it is an instinct, its in your blood or you have the mind of a predator. I know guys that have hunted a lot and they can't find or kill squat. I think You either have it or You don't..............BOB!

• Like 3

Not mad at all. The world is in desperate need of a**holes and your helping bridge that gap.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Certainly a lot of things to consider. I like the camp cook idea. Maybe just volunteering to help out and tag along as much as possible is the way to go. The spotter ideas pretty good as well. Definitely not looking to guide right out the gate, I know I'm not qualified. I just want to learn and home my skills and maybe guide in the future.

Maybe for a family guy it just ain't a good fit, 5th kid will be here in a month. In my head I was thinking be gone a week or two, Come home a week and repeat. That might not be realistic at all so I will learn from whoever i can in the meantime.

Not mad at all. The world is in desperate need of a**holes and your helping bridge that gap.

Geez and I was considering hiring you as my elk guide this year.

• Like 3