Sign in to follow this  
Guest 300ultramag.

Map obsessions.

Guest 300ultramag.

Waiting on the draw I find myself daydreaming about getting a tag. More importantly all of the tinkering leading up to it. My absolute favorite is to go over my maps. I get them laid out on the table and it's so something I will I go over every day leading up until the hunt. Some times months ahead. I the. Jump on Google earth and then back to the maps. So the wife jokes with me... Are you excited to get your maps out. It's a favorite pass time. Anyone else share this obsession? I could pan on Google earth for hours. Even found antelope on a tank (looking at enough cows the lopes stood out like a thumb. Good luck in the draw!

I might be going over wy maps if I can't draw here.

• Like 4

I do the same thing. I have a map addiction.

I go between traditional paper maps, google earth and G&F's Recreational Access website.

Me too. I love maps, especially topo maps and Google Earth. I do a ton of scouting on my PC.

I get a lot of crap from guys at work for always being on Google earth. the biggest problem is that I'll plan out my weekend hikes while sitting in my comfy chair and staring at the computer screen. it usually makes for a miserable Saturday morning, trying to get to that glass point that i swear was only 3 inches from the road! but i keep doing it time and time again.

• Like 2

Same here. My wife even wrote in our Christmas letter "when he's not actually hunting, he's dreaming about hunting..." I even write up a summary of my thoughts from studying the maps and scouting and email them to my buddies. I'm sick... sick, sick, sick... lol

• Like 2

Cool thing about caltopo.Com is its like Google share! You can take a map mark it up, put a password on it and share it with your hunting partner. They can also add to it to make a supermap. I have a map for each unit and each species!

• Like 2

Waiting on the draw I find myself daydreaming about getting a tag. More importantly all of the tinkering leading up to it. My absolute favorite is to go over my maps. I get them laid out on the table and it's so something I will I go over every day leading up until the hunt. Some times months ahead. I the. Jump on Google earth and then back to the maps. So the wife jokes with me... Are you excited to get your maps out. It's a favorite pass time. Anyone else share this obsession? I could pan on Google earth for hours. Even found antelope on a tank (looking at enough cows the lopes stood out like a thumb. Good luck in the draw!

I might be going over wy maps if I can't draw here.

yes all i do is look at maps and google earth and day dream about being there hunting stuff. thats my favorite way to spend my free time

• Like 1

My hunting buddies are not tech savy. They rely on me to do the map work. I'm the one making/printing custom maps for new areas, which can take hours. I hand them each a map and it never comes out of their pack...if it makes it to the pack.

• Like 4

I get a lot of crap from guys at work for always being on Google earth. the biggest problem is that I'll plan out my weekend hikes while sitting in my comfy chair and staring at the computer screen. it usually makes for a miserable Saturday morning, trying to get to that glass point that i swear was only 3 inches from the road! but i keep doing it time and time again.

This is me.........heal, according to the map 1 square equals a mile.....I can hike that...........and then my wife a half hour into the mile hike that was only supposed to take 15 minutes.......honey......are we supposed to be dropping this far down??? Yes dear........well honey........are you going to be able to make it back out???

I love my map programs on my computer........always fun to plot out scouting and hunting plans!!!

• Like 1

Anybody know if you can do "view shed" on caltopo? Basically you select a point, and the program shows the land surface area that is visible from that point. I took a GIS class where we used it a little in ArcMap but I forgot how to do all that. that would be great for finding good glassing points in areas you aren't able to scout a bunch. I need to look into this caltopo site more now.