Yoshi

Shooting Hours

What are the legal shooting hours for the early April hunt?

And if you have to use your spotlight to shoot them out of the tree it's prolly too dark. If that crap happens again this year Imma bust some azz.

• Like 2

And if you have to use your spotlight to shoot them out of the tree it's prolly too dark. If that crap happens again this year Imma bust some azz.

no sh!t!!! Last year we parked at the end of a closed road and started walking to a roost at 5am. About 6 two guys guys came walking our direction with dead birds. We never heard a shot! They musta been shootin early as heck. Upsetting.
  • Like 1

Azgfd reg p.99, "SHOOTING HOURS Legal shooting time is during daylight hours (see sunrise-sunset chart on page 105) or as prescribed by the Commission (see individual Commission Orders). In general, if you can see well enough to shoot safely, you are legal. Taking wild animals or birds by moonlight or artificial light is illegal, except for raccoons, reptiles and other mammals as prescribed in R12-4-304, page 126. Other time requirements apply for migratory birds (see Migratory Bird Regulations)."

• Like 2

Azgfd reg p.99, "SHOOTING HOURS Legal shooting time is during daylight hours (see sunrise-sunset chart on page 105) or as prescribed by the Commission (see individual Commission Orders). In general, if you can see well enough to shoot safely, you are legal. Taking wild animals or birds by moonlight or artificial light is illegal, except for raccoons, reptiles and other mammals as prescribed in R12-4-304, page 126. Other time requirements apply for migratory birds (see Migratory Bird Regulations)."

Yep. We often talk about this in Hunter Ed classes with kids. Some states have "...30 minutes before sunrise...30 minutes after sunset..." but Arizona's shooting hours law is more gray, just like it states above. I always print out a NOAA sunrise/sunset table for the area I'm hunting and then plan for about 30 minutes either side of what's listed for when shooting light starts/ends. That's usually a good approximation, but there's usually a few minutes either side of 30 minutes.

• Like 2

Yep. We often talk about this in Hunter Ed classes with kids. Some states have "...30 minutes before sunrise...30 minutes after sunset..." but Arizona's shooting hours law is more gray, just like it states above. I always print out a NOAA sunrise/sunset table for the area I'm hunting and then plan for about 30 minutes either side of what's listed for when shooting light starts/ends. That's usually a good approximation, but there's usually a few minutes either side of 30 minutes.

the GnF could simplify it all by making a law like many other states where it is illegal to shoot a roosted bird.

• Like 6

the GnF could simplify it all by making a law like many other states where it is illegal to shoot a roosted bird.

I agree wholeheartedly! I really wish AZ and NM would make that illegal (unless NM already/finally has and I missed it).

If they are shooting by artificial light do you think they are going to follow the roost law?

A few years ago in NM, I know of a hunter in a group (from AZ) who walked in and shot a roosted bird at first shooting light. He walked right past some other hunters' set up and shot the bird right out of the tree as soon as he could see it clearly. I've seen plenty of birds still on roost at first shooting light and I know people that have shot them off their roost as soon as they could see a good beard.

I generally Shoot as soon as I see them running from My truck or My house. Doesn't matter what color they are. I believe in equal opportunity...........BOB!

• Like 1

I agree wholeheartedly! I really wish AZ and NM would make that illegal (unless NM already/finally has and I missed it).

If they are shooting by artificial light do you think they are going to follow the roost law?

A few years ago in NM, I know of a hunter in a group (from AZ) who walked in and shot a roosted bird at first shooting light. He walked right past some other hunters' set up and shot the bird right out of the tree as soon as he could see it clearly. I've seen plenty of birds still on roost at first shooting light and I know people that have shot them off their roost as soon as they could see a good beard.

It is illegal to shoot a turkey on the roost. Here is the state law, section J, but I could not find it in the rules.

9.31.16.10 TURKEY MANNER AND METHOD REQUIREMENTS AND RESTRICTIONS:

A. Season and hours: Turkey may be hunted or taken only during open seasons and only during the period from one-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour after sunset.

B. Bag limit: It shall be unlawful for any person to hunt for or take more than the number and type of turkey during the current license year as specified by the hunt code printed on the permit or license unless otherwise provided by regulation.

C. Seizure: Any conservation officer or other officer authorized to enforce game laws and regulations shall seize the carcasses of turkey(s) that are improperly notched.

D. Proof of sex: It shall be unlawful for anyone to transport or possess the carcass of a turkey without proof of sex. When the required bag limit is a bearded turkey, the beard and a small patch of feathers surrounding the beard shall remain with the same turkey carcass until arriving at a residence, taxidermist, meat processing place, or place of final storage.

E. Use of dogs in hunting: It shall be unlawful to use dogs to hunt turkey.

F. Use of baits: It shall be unlawful for anyone to take or attempt to take any turkey by baiting.

G. Live animals: It shall be unlawful to use live animals as a blind or decoy in taking or attempting to take any turkey.

H. Use of calling devices: It shall be unlawful to use any electrically or mechanically recorded calling device in taking or attempting to take any turkey.

I. Killing out-of-season: It shall be unlawful to kill any turkey out of turkey hunting season.

J. Roost shooting: It shall be unlawful to shoot a turkey while it is located in a tree or structure used for resting.

K. Legal weapon types for turkey are as follows: shotguns firing shot, including muzzle-loading shotguns; bows and arrows; and crossbows and bolts.

L. Non-toxic shot use is required on all state game commission owned lands.

M. Areas closed to hunting turkey: The following areas shall remain closed to hunting turkey, except as permitted by regulation: Sugarite canyon state park; Orilla Verde and Wild Rivers recreation areas, including the Taos valley overlook; all wildlife management areas except Humphries, Rio Chama, and Sargent WMAs; the Valle Vidal area; and Rattlesnake canyon in sub-unit 2A.

[19.31.16.10 NMAC - Rp, 19.31.16.10 NMAC, 4-1-15]

• Like 2