Yoshi

Shooting Hours

That's great if NM changed the law, but in the early/mid-2000s, it was still legal to shoot them off the roost, as i understood the rules. Glad its been changed!

Never really hunted turkey until my daughter wanted to start when she passed hunters ed five years ago. I am a NM native and always thought it was illegal to shoot turkeys on the roost here. I am not 100% on that though. I do remember when we use to buy deer, bear, and fall turkey on one license for $10.50. That would have been late 70's and early 80's and roosted birds were illegal back then.

I am talking about NM here and not AZ. I was responding to IA Born's post, #12, on the first line in the yellow.

• Like 1

Azgfd reg p.99, "SHOOTING HOURS Legal shooting time is during daylight hours (see sunrise-sunset chart on page 105) or as prescribed by the Commission (see individual Commission Orders). In general, if you can see well enough to shoot safely, you are legal. Taking wild animals or birds by moonlight or artificial light is illegal, except for raccoons, reptiles and other mammals as prescribed in R12-4-304, page 126. Other time requirements apply for migratory birds (see Migratory Bird Regulations)."

Yep. We often talk about this in Hunter Ed classes with kids. Some states have "...30 minutes before sunrise...30 minutes after sunset..." but Arizona's shooting hours law is more gray, just like it states above. I always print out a NOAA sunrise/sunset table for the area I'm hunting and then plan for about 30 minutes either side of what's listed for when shooting light starts/ends. That's usually a good approximation, but there's usually a few minutes either side of 30 minutes.

the GnF could simplify it all by making a law like many other states where it is illegal to shoot a roosted bird.

I agree wholeheartedly! I really wish AZ and NM would make that illegal (unless NM already/finally has and I missed it).

If they are shooting by artificial light do you think they are going to follow the roost law?

A few years ago in NM, I know of a hunter in a group (from AZ) who walked in and shot a roosted bird at first shooting light. He walked right past some other hunters' set up and shot the bird right out of the tree as soon as he could see it clearly. I've seen plenty of birds still on roost at first shooting light and I know people that have shot them off their roost as soon as they could see a good beard.

It is illegal to shoot a turkey on the roost. Here is the state law, section J, but I could not find it in the rules.

9.31.16.10 TURKEY MANNER AND METHOD REQUIREMENTS AND RESTRICTIONS:

A. Season and hours: Turkey may be hunted or taken only during open seasons and only during the period from one-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour after sunset.

B. Bag limit: It shall be unlawful for any person to hunt for or take more than the number and type of turkey during the current license year as specified by the hunt code printed on the permit or license unless otherwise provided by regulation.

C. Seizure: Any conservation officer or other officer authorized to enforce game laws and regulations shall seize the carcasses of turkey(s) that are improperly notched.

D. Proof of sex: It shall be unlawful for anyone to transport or possess the carcass of a turkey without proof of sex. When the required bag limit is a bearded turkey, the beard and a small patch of feathers surrounding the beard shall remain with the same turkey carcass until arriving at a residence, taxidermist, meat processing place, or place of final storage.

E. Use of dogs in hunting: It shall be unlawful to use dogs to hunt turkey.

F. Use of baits: It shall be unlawful for anyone to take or attempt to take any turkey by baiting.

G. Live animals: It shall be unlawful to use live animals as a blind or decoy in taking or attempting to take any turkey.

H. Use of calling devices: It shall be unlawful to use any electrically or mechanically recorded calling device in taking or attempting to take any turkey.

I. Killing out-of-season: It shall be unlawful to kill any turkey out of turkey hunting season.

J. Roost shooting: It shall be unlawful to shoot a turkey while it is located in a tree or structure used for resting.

K. Legal weapon types for turkey are as follows: shotguns firing shot, including muzzle-loading shotguns; bows and arrows; and crossbows and bolts.

L. Non-toxic shot use is required on all state game commission owned lands.

M. Areas closed to hunting turkey: The following areas shall remain closed to hunting turkey, except as permitted by regulation: Sugarite canyon state park; Orilla Verde and Wild Rivers recreation areas, including the Taos valley overlook; all wildlife management areas except Humphries, Rio Chama, and Sargent WMAs; the Valle Vidal area; and Rattlesnake canyon in sub-unit 2A.

[19.31.16.10 NMAC - Rp, 19.31.16.10 NMAC, 4-1-15]

This is the New Mexico regulations not Arizona.

Roost shooters= slob hunters. hardest part of the hunt is waking up.

Should be illegal to shoot something that won't move when you are under the tree in the predawn grey light.. Go buy a dang turkey from the store or go kill your own at a turkey farm.

• Like 7

Blah blah blah, here we go again judging others I've done both but not before shooting light, some years there done and there is no way your calling them in, I've walked to set up for fly down and scared many out of there roust when its still dark, they fly , as for roust shooting is no different then setting up 2 Hrs before sun up and just as you can see some bone head drives up on his quad and starts throwing lead. Had this conversation with the gamies many times and they always says if you can see them in your scope you can shoot. Well that's pretty early with a Zeiss scope. So I don't always agree with peoples hunting ethics but if it's legal don't bitch if someone beets you to the shoot, especially in this shoulder shooting state. Anyway my opinion and yes I us a fox pro and it works awesome, don't just buy tags to donate, I do enough of that. Good luck to all in the elk draw..

Blah blah blah, here we go again judging others I've done both but not before shooting light, some years there done and there is no way your calling them in, I've walked to set up for fly down and scared many out of there roust when its still dark, they fly , as for roust shooting is no different then setting up 2 Hrs before sun up and just as you can see some bone head drives up on his quad and starts throwing lead. Had this conversation with the gamies many times and they always says if you can see them in your scope you can shoot. Well that's pretty early with a Zeiss scope. So I don't always agree with peoples hunting ethics but if it's legal don't bitch if someone beets you to the shoot, especially in this shoulder shooting state. Anyway my opinion and yes I us a fox pro and it works awesome, don't just buy tags to donate, I do enough of that. Good luck to all in the elk draw..

Yoy probably shoot quail on the ground and ducks on the water too. The only diff is there may be someone who has spent time on that bird and is actively involved in trying to get that bird to come in. But who cares about that. You got to shoot.

• Like 1

Anybody can shoot a gobbler in a roost tree. Ethical?, in my opinion, No. As far as I know, it isn't legal either.

Call 'em in, learn the language, make it fun and challenging. That's the whole point of hunting turkeys in the Spring!

• Like 2

He who shoot Turkey in Roost= Coward............BOB!

• Like 2

Anybody can shoot a gobbler in a roost tree. Ethical?, in my opinion, No. As far as I know, it isn't legal either.

Call 'em in, learn the language, make it fun and challenging. That's the whole point of hunting turkeys in the Spring!

Agree wholeheartedly. Unfortunately, it is legal in Arizona. When I first started turkey hunting in Arizona, I never even bothered to look those rules up because it was illegal in my home state and I assumed it was illegal everywhere. Small-town Midwestern naivety, I suppose. I've never bothered to look in any states' rules as to the legality because I just don't believe in it. Its about the only thing I step onto a soap box about when it comes to ethics, though.

Been trying to get a turkey for over a decade now - with my bow - and have yet to close the deal. I have never even successfully located a roost in the evening to even be able to shoot a bird out of a tree lol.

I do struggle with hunters bashing other guys that are doing stuff legally. We have enough pressure on us as hunters from the anti gun pro vegan PETA delta bravos out there - At least in public, hunters need to stand up for other hunters. Have a conversation in private if you think you have something to add with someone specific, but hunters better start presenting a united front. Lord knows the anti crowd is standing together.

• Like 1