jrc0415

15A, 15B, and 18A ELK HUNT

Hi All,

After a few years of putting in (6), I finally got drawn. I put in for both Bull and Cow elk in a few different areas, and had heard that these units held trophy elk. I did get drawn....for cow. The hunt is from November 4 - December 8th.

I have never hunted these areas personally, but have heard that the success is generally lower.

Any tips/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Man, sorry about the luck. 6 years for a cow tag is rough. You could have had the best cow tag in the state with 5 or 6 points... Now you have one of the worst tags.

I'll do you a solid and tell you what you need to do to be successful:

Tip #1 Do not hunt units 15a or 15b.

Tip #2 Drive to 18a on a scouting trip the end of October. Find some public land(alot of private checkerboard ground here with hermits with guns, so get a map and be careful), preferably with water(harder than it sounds), cover, and feed(what side of the fence did it rain on in Aug/September?). Hike around different areas (be prepared to hike 15-20 miles on your weekend) glassing morning and evenings and hiking in between until you find alot of sign or see what you are after. Come back on opening day and pray they aren't on the other side of the unit already or that the local Kingman hunting posse didn't already sniper them at first light opening morning, scaring the rest of the survivors into the trees for the remainder of the year.

Good lord. 6 points. Coulda had a late rifle bull tag in a lot of units or an October cow tag in a primo unit. I don't know anything about those units so I'm no help.

Buddy of mine got a nice bull in 18a during the archery hunt couple yrs ago but he is part of the"kingman posse" lol as mentioned

The unit during the early hunts and late hunts is a complete change that few understand the elk literally disappear.

Go along the border of the ORO and wait for the helicopters. Follow the helicopters as they chase the elk around.

Hi All,

After a few years of putting in (6), I finally got drawn. I put in for both Bull and Cow elk in a few different areas, and had heard that these units held trophy elk. I did get drawn....for cow. The hunt is from November 4 - December 8th.

I have never hunted these areas personally, but have heard that the success is generally lower.

Any tips/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

I really hope this is a joke! 6 points for that hunt is crazy!