Hatchet Jack

backpack that carries baby

I want to take my 8 month old hiking with me out in the hills and have no idea whats best to pack her in. She doesn't ride well in my horn hunter pack. Anybody use those dorky looking kid packers? i dont care what it looks like just want it to work and be comfy. Thanks

Between my wife and I, our 21mo old has about 2000mi in a pack. We started with a few different front wraps, then an Ergo, first in front then back. When our son was about 15lbs we tried a few different hand me down backpacks. The Deuter Kid Comfort III is the no question winner. All other backpacks have gone to good homes where they are used much less often and much less hard than we need. Drop me a note if you want to talk. Or if you down south, let me know and we'll get out for a nice hike out our back door.

• Like 1

The Kelty Carriers are pretty popular as well. We just picked one up off Craigslist and if looks like it was never used. I'm sure Rancilio has more experience but the Kelty is worth a try. This one popped up after I bought mine and like this color better. I got my Kelty FC 3 for $100.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/spo/5536110899.html

That Kelty looks nice. The only good thing about living near 5mil peeps is the stuff they sell on craigslist. For 100 bones, buy it and if it doesn't work out, sell it. Repeat until you, your kid and the hills agree.

One of many hikes (breaks). We are not sure if hiking helped him sleep or ruined his sleeping. We did many midnight walks when he wouldn't sleep any other way.

post-7261-0-94099200-1461567099_thumb.jpeg

• Like 6

We covered a ton of ground with our Kelty Pathfinder. We got it shortly after our daughter was born and never looked back. It lasted through our son. It had some wear and tear on it after all those miles and years, but it was awesome. I could load it with plenty of food and water for me, the kids, and the dogs. Our daughter is 12 today and there are days I miss carrying her around like that. We got rid of it about 4 years ago, or it would be yours. Good luck!

Our daughter at 18 months in the Chiricahuas

post-4869-0-07177800-1461595837_thumb.jpg

Our son at 18 months in the Peaks

post-4869-0-79191400-1461595967_thumb.jpg

My newest addition is 4 months old. Bear needs a pack- we have scouting to do and these are some fantastic suggestions. Thanks for sharing!

I used a Kelty pack with my kids. It worked great and was comfortable.

My badlands did the trick when mine was still little! After that I picked up a cheap one from the thrift store. If you have the money I would go for a nicer one mine carries like crap.

post-12289-0-16315200-1461611649_thumb.jpg

From scouting to hunting to a track meet at NAU and even the Phoenix Open I use our Kelty all the time for our kids. Paid $17 at Goodwill and it was like brand new. My kids love riding in it!!

post-5591-0-94072600-1461659589_thumb.jpeg

post-5591-0-52454100-1461659620.jpeg

post-5591-0-74273200-1461659645.jpeg