Sign in to follow this  
ClarkW

Unit to apply for thoughts?

I wouldn't normally ask this type of question, but since sheep tags are once in a lifetime and very limited, I thought I would throw it out there in hopes nobody gets upset and maybe I can get some thoughts, opinions or information from people that know more than I do about sheep units. I know there's tons of factors that could be asked, but I'll go general with some background.

1. I have 22 points and a resident.

2. Score isn't the most important, but generally hoping for mid 160's.

3. I generally prefer the look of a heavy horned ram over length, but with that said would go for quality of hunt over specific sub species look.

4. A unit with decent access would allow me more hunt time than a spike camp type hunt due to logistics and lack of help.

So with that info, should I be putting in for desert or rocky and what units may fit what I am hoping for? Thanks for your educated input.

Put in for either desert or rocky, your not at max points for either. Depending on how old you are you should be looking for hunts with the best odds. Even if it's a low density area you'll have plenty of time to scout or involve a guide that knows the unit. I'd rather not go guided but if I drew an area I didn't know well and work kept me from scouting as much as I'd like to then a guide is an option. I'm not sure but I think your points aren't there yet.

Sadly with 22 points your odds are microscopically better than guys with 0 points. Look in the draw reports and do some homework of which units are producing the rams you want and pick two and go with it. Your odds are all about 1% or less in any decent unit. Really bad units with small sheep still have like less than 2% odds. So unless your in max points pool flip a coin and hope you get lucky. Find a unit you know you'll be able to scout and travel to often if drawn.

• Like 1

Some units that average about mid 160's desert rams would be units like 13A (165 3/8), 15DN (163 2/8), 28 South (166 2/8), 37A (167 2/8), 37B (167 2/8), and 43A (165 7/8). I don't know much if anything about how one units sheep terrain and access compares to the other.

Since you aren't in the max point pool, ones that have most or all of the tags that move into the 1/2 random pass of the draw. One you know well or are willing to learn a lot about. One you can get around in well if that is important. If you like the backcountry there are certain units that are better than others.

Here is some information you prospective sheep hunters might be interested in.

The sheep in northwest Arizona have been hit with pneumonia and there has been a confirmed die off in all of the units from I-40 North to Temple Bar.

Look at the number of tags offered this year in Unit 15B West (1) 15C North (1) 15C South (1) and 15D, which used to be split into two units (15D North and 15D South) it is now combined and had 6 tags.

The older rams in these units have definitely took a hit, so sad to say, those that are putting in for 15B West, 15C North and 15C South are gonna find some real slim pickings.

Those with a 15D tag, will still see sheep, but they'll have to work very hard to find any really big guys. If you're OK with mid 150's rams, then 15D will be fine. You'll see them. But for the older age class rams like have been getting taken in there the past few years, well, there is no doubt some might still be there, but gonna take a lot of work and effort to find those kinds of rams.

I've been guiding here since the late 80's and I think this might be the worse I have ever seen it. Bottom line, might want to change your draw strategy this year and wait to see how this ends. G&F has no idea if and when the die offs will end.

These are rams we took in 2015, one in Unit 15B West and one in Unit 15D North. In 15B West this was the largest ram we found in many, many days of scouting and hunting!

post-11017-0-73909300-1462866441_thumb.jpg

Jerry Uzyn and his 15B West ram.

post-11017-0-43767200-1462866640_thumb.jpg[

Jerry Weiers and his 15D North ram that we took on Day 3 of the hunt.

Don Martin

Arizona Wildlife Outfitters

• Like 2

Since the numbers are so low in those units why don't they null those hunts or are they trying to kill them off?

• Like 1

Because they get $13 per application.

In other words g$f is truly just trying to manage wildlife for tomorrow??? Got it

Take all of the 'best' units for Desert Sheep with one or two tags off the table (a few that spring to mind are units 22, 24B south & north, 31 & 32 Aravaipa, 37 Silverbells, etc.) as these go in the bonus round to max point holders. There may be a few others I am missing, but the point is: you have zero chance of getting drawn for these units unless you have max points. It's going to be another tough year for the sheep.

All my usual choices are affected by the pneumonia outbreak or do not have a hunt. I may go against my better judgement this year and just BP.

There are still units that you would have a great hunt,and be able to kill a nice ram.You will never get drawn unless you're in the draw.It took me 39 years!!!

• Like 3

Do you like curls that flare or no?

Kaffer62,

Not totally picky but generally would say I like the tighter curl mexicana specie more.

Don,

I have heard that people are still seeing nice rams in those units as of the last few weeks and nobody is seeing dead sheep lying around, including aerial surveys? Any more info on your end?

always put in for a hunt it has been a few years but my neighbor got a bighorn tag with seven points. I have a guide friend who had a 13 year old that drew a rocky tag with 3-4 points. if you put in at least you have a chance it is once in a lifetime.