Smitty57

Unit 2a,2b hunt!

Morning hunters, I'm looking for some help in Unit 2a, and 2b for a cow elk tag.I went scouting the last few days and truly realized the challenge of this hunt! Access is very limited, if you have any suggestions it would be much appreciated. I'm a glass and stalk hunter, I'm not to big on atv's. So if you did know any ranchers that would give me access I wouldn't be tearing up there land, and I would decrease the predator population if it became available. Thank you, and I'm staying optimistic!

• Like 1

I have never hunted either for anything but it sounds like you should try knocking on a few doors. Couldn't hurt.

http://www.gf.state.az.us/h_f/hunting_units_2a.shtml

http://www.gf.state.az.us/h_f/hunting_units_2b.shtml

Also contact the regional G&F Office and ask to be put in tough with the Wildlife Manager for the areas, maybe you can do a ride-a-long.

I love how guys with 1 post ask for info on where to find animals! I'm not saying don't ask, but it surely helps to have more than a few post's to get most people to help. Otherwise it just appears you are only e-scouting!

• Like 4

I love how guys with 1 post ask for info on where to find animals! I'm not saying don't ask, but it surely helps to have more than a few post's to get most people to help. Otherwise it just appears you are only e-scouting!

I'm glad i didn't have to say it. I know it's limited opportunity cow, but...........gonna be hard getting people to talk about the 2's, but they are pretty secret

Not sure where your coming up with this limited access stuff, but there is ALOT of ground that's open to the public.

The forrest, and tons of blm land.

Get a map is my first suggestion.

Up north it's checkerboarded but down south it's quite open.

My son had the same exact hunt last year but unfortunately all we saw was Bulls. < kinda crazy huh?

Shouldn't be applying for tags you know zero about! Glass...glass...glass...find the nearest high point and get on it

• Like 1

There is a reason it's called a "limited opportunity" hunt, folks.

Units 2AB have a lot fewer elk than just about anywhere with elk in this state. I spent nearly two weeks in that unit before the 2015 season, scouting every day on public and private land, last year for my cow tag, and found exactly one small group of cows with a raghorn bull.

When I went to put that herd to bed the afternoon before the season opened, there were two muzzleloader antelope hunters driving ATVs on every two-track road all around the little juniper hill where the herd had been hanging out. I never saw those elk again, or even another elk in 2AB, even though I hunted every day of the season.

Most of the very few elk in the unit are in the four square miles of land in the extreme southeast corner of 2B, where there are no access problems. Problem is, this is no secret up here and the majority of the tag holders congregate there. I suppose I could have hunted with the crowds, but I chose not to.

Bill Quimby

[

I drew this tag on my last choice as well. Oops... lol

I can assure you, you didn't draw that, or any elk tag 5th choice.

• Like 1

[

I drew this tag on my last choice as well. Oops... lol

I can assure you, you didn't draw that, or any elk tag 5th choice.

There are quite a few elk tags you can draw fifth choice. Anything that has leftovers for instance would have been drawable in the final round.

• Like 2

On 5/9/2016 at 4:57 PM, PRDATR said:

I have never hunted either for anything but it sounds like you should try knocking on a few doors. Couldn't hurt.

http://www.gf.state.az.us/h_f/hunting_units_2a.shtml

http://www.gf.state.az.us/h_f/hunting_units_2b.shtml

Also contact the regional G&F Office and ask to be put in tough with the Wildlife Manager for the areas, maybe you can do a ride-a-long.

Folks, I own land on Sierra Mountain Ranch that directly borders state lands for easy hunting access to both 2A and 2B.  My understanding is this ranch is surrounded and engulfed completely by Unit 2B, and Unit 2A is directly across the highway - with access points very near, and a checkerboard-style way into 2A from my property thru state lands as well. 

If you need a place to camp or jump off into a 2A/2B hunting area, feel free to DM me and let's talk!

20170421_115014.jpg

20170421_134407.jpg

20170421_134421.jpg

20170421_134447.jpg

20170421_134532.jpg

20170421_140233.jpg

• Like 2