Here is a 10/22 stock I have started on. Still have to do the flat black patches after the flat OD dries. This is one of mine for a test stock for a Savage stock. Spots will be smaller, more like the black spots, and more evenly distributed.

20170527_173619_zpsvfnzbaj8.jpg

20170527_175526_zpsxdj88ktn.jpg

• Like 2

Cool pain job!! Even cooler that you have lockers for your ammo and a picture frame of groupings :)

Cool pain job!! Even cooler that you have lockers for your ammo and a picture frame of groupings :)

All of those targets are Taylor's groups, and most are at 200 yards.

• Like 1

You are the Rembrandt of rifle stocks. An awesome post and beautiful work.

After I fire the last box of shells and pull my .308 apart to re-barrel I am also going to lengthen the stock. I was thinking of trying a cammo pattern. It would keep me amused while I wait for the new barrel. A pattern is something I have never tried before. The stocks and actions I have painted have all been a single color. Lots of great pattern ideas here.

When you mask over the checkered areas on the stock how do you ensure a good seal? Use a stiff brush to get the masking to conform to the checkering?

If a rifle is not behaving does its ammo get a bottom locker?

When I mask a checkered area, I run my fingernail in all of the lines to get a good seal.

The top 4 rows are my ammo and reloading stuff, bottom 2 rows are knives, maps, rests, chrome, etc. Plus some of my son-in-law's ammo.

My brother in law has painted a couple of his guns. But when I handle it I can always tell its painted by just by touch. (like a ever so slightly humid stick touch) Does your paint do that? If not is it just the paint he had?

My brother in law has painted a couple of his guns. But when I handle it I can always tell its painted by just by touch. (like a ever so slightly humid stick touch) Does your paint do that? If not is it just the paint he had?

Lance's stocks aren't sticky at all. He's done 3 for me and they're all awesome!

• Like 1

I really like it too. Especially since it is my stock. :)

Can't wait to get my hands on it. Awesome job as always Lance.

• Like 2

There is a product I have used that kind of fits in with this subject. Brownell's sells something they call spray grit. It is basically small pieces of silica mixed in an aerosol adhesive. I used a High Tech Specialties stock on a build and wanted a more textured surface where my hands went. I used the spray grit then painted the stock, I was lazy it is all one color. This was about 6 years ago and the grit has held up well. I recall the adhesive being fairly clear so it might be possible to use it over an already finished surface.

I'm just now catching this thread and all I can say is WOW! How much do you charge for that? I just PMd you about a rifle (loading) and now you got me asking myself how much trouble I can get in with my lovely wife!