GreyGhost85

Dear max point holders,........

No hunters safety either. We put him in as a joke and he drew. Had to beg him to go. He doesn't hunt. It was his only hunt. He shot a 166 ram on the second day.

I was throwing up drywall in my new utility room yesterday and listened to the Sheep unit podcast. They were talking about a girl that drew 15D with 1 or 2 bonus points.

That guy in this site drew 27 rocky with 0bp last year! It would blow most people's mind's if they knew how little bp's helped until you have max. From 0 to 26 bp's there is only like a 2-3% odds increase. Honestly, odds of drawing a sheep tag aren't much worse than a rifle antelope tag in a good unit. I'm sitting on 18bp for lope and only have about a 2-4% chance of a tag compared to about a 1-2.5% chance for sheep

At 24 BP and 52 my only hope for the max pool is to live to 100 :). A sheep tag of any sort has always been on my bucket list. The good news is at 1 - 2% my odds are a lot better at a sheep tag then winning the lotto.

I had 8 points when I drew, applying only 6 times. I know I was extremely lucky, and believe I had perfect timing. The year I drew it was still paper apps only so if you applied you had to front all the money, no credit card charge only if you were successful in the drawing. Had to mail that check and it had to clear, which I believe kept a LOT of people out of the sheep drawing in those days. Not many giant rams had been killed in that unit so it wasn't very popular at the time. Also the unit had all the tags get past the bonus round so all the tags went in the random drawing giving me an even better chance at one. I had the lowest number in the random draw for that hunt with tag #1. I know this because one of my best friends since childhood also got drawn in the same unit for the same hunt and he had more points than me with 13 and he had tag #3. Since then tag numbers have increased and there has been a few BIG rams killed in there so the draw odds have gone way down and at least a few tags have come out of the bonus round for that hunt.

Heat, that sheep in your avatar looks big. any story on it? better photos? i wish G&F would go back to up front fees for all species. especially bighorn. it would weed out a LOT of people that aren't all that interested in hunting to begin with

• Like 5

Long story short my ram isn't that big, and my friend took an outstanding photo. He is a nice one though. Small bases, good length. Here is the thread I posted at the conclusion of my hunt. I live for this stuff so if anyone has any question about the units near Yuma especially 43B, I would be happy to discuss via PMs or email. I would say the podcast from Jay Scott, Darr and Craig is right on the money!

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/forums/topic/22525-az-desert-bighorn-ram/

I had 8 points when I drew, applying only 6 times. I know I was extremely lucky, and believe I had perfect timing. The year I drew it was still paper apps only so if you applied you had to front all the money, no credit card charge only if you were successful in the drawing. Had to mail that check and it had to clear, which I believe kept a LOT of people out of the sheep drawing in those days. Not many giant rams had been killed in that unit so it wasn't very popular at the time. Also the unit had all the tags get past the bonus round so all the tags went in the random drawing giving me an even better chance at one. I had the lowest number in the random draw for that hunt with tag #1. I know this because one of my best friends since childhood also got drawn in the same unit for the same hunt and he had more points than me with 13 and he had tag #3. Since then tag numbers have increased and there has been a few BIG rams killed in there so the draw odds have gone way down and at least a few tags have come out of the bonus round for that hunt.

Agreed! The old "money up front" policy" certainly curbed how many people applied and got involved.

• Like 2

I know three that have gotten drawn and they had 7, 6, and 9 points.

80% of the tags go to everyone else without max right?

To clarify, 80% of the sheep tags get drawn in the random part of the drawing, in what some of us call the one, two pass. You could have anywhere from 0 to max points and draw in the random. You just need a random number lower than the rest of the guys that apply for that unit. Remember the max point drawing for sheep is basically a mini draw amongst the guys with the same number of points which is whatever the maximum is at the time, and only the guys with the lowest random numbers assigned during that segment of the drawing get drawn. If you have max points and don't get drawn in the bonus pass, the computer reshuffles the deck and assigns new numbers in the random. This thread is good stuff for those that don't understand the nuances of how the draw works, especially for sheep since it works different than the drawing for all other species except bison.

• Like 1

Now with all the max point holders handcuffing themselves by applying for the same couple units, do 20% of them even get drawn every year? it sure doesn't seem like it. About 10 years ago i ran the numbers on the max point holders and at 20% of them getting tags every year, the max pool should have been cleared out by now?