Sign in to follow this  
4Falls

Game Carts?

Im a solo hunter 90 percent of the time and have been thinking about using one of the lightweight game carts for packing in and out. Does any one here use one?

Ive been looking at the two wheeled ones but they seem a bit flimsy. Anyone ever built their own?

We started with the flimsy one and added all rubber tires and extended handrail. Ever since then we have not shot an elk we needed it for, kinda funny. The flimsy one the tires were shot after less than one hill. When I get back up north I can snap a picture of it if you would like,

• Like 1

I use a knife and a backpack.

I have an uncle in MT who is old school and he built a single wheeled cart 20 yrs ago and they still use it for half a dozen elk every fall. I don't get it, seems just as easy to just quarter it right there, it has to be done anyway why pack al that bone out.

• Like 1

I have one and have built one. They suck in mud, rocks, going over downed trees, uphill, downhill. Much easier with a knife and pack frame.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone.

I probably should have been more clear. I dont really plan on using it for packing out an animal, unless the stars align and it happens to die somewhere with easy access which never seems to happen. 9 times out of 10 a knife and a pack frame is the only reasonable way.

I was thinking more along the lines of packing camping gear or ground blinds etc. Especially with all the closed roads and such. 6ANut Id like to see a pic of the modifications to your cart.

• Like 2

I have tried to pack camp in like you are talking about. I have a two wheeled cart like what Cabela's sells. The problem is the wheels are too wide for a single track and not wide enough to hit both tracks. I am talking about two track roads that have been closed off and never graded. What you have to do is walk down the middle of the road trying to keep the wheels even between the two tracks or keep one track between the wheels. I only had about 60 lbs. on the cart and it was a bear to the end of the road.

What I am looking at making is a V like a wheelbarrow but a 20" tire. Maybe two tires about 10" apart for better stability. The wheel(s) at the bottom of the V and mainly being able to pull it with the option of pushing it. I made a single wheel before but it took two people to use it as the wheel was centered under the platform and wouldn't balance.

A welder and some bike parts will do wonders.make a harness so you can turn it around and pull and put a hand brake on it so it does not run you over on the hills.

I have this one I'll sell you for $50 just because it's taking up space in my garage. It's only been used once to wheel in tree stands and gear a few years ago. I can take and send you some pics of it tomorrow if your interested.

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/mobile/Muddy-Outdoors-Lock-and-Load-Steel-Game-Cart/productDetail/Carry-Carts-Hoists-and-Gambrels/prod99999037667/cat100170

Love my 2 wheeler for hunting speed goats in Wyoming..

I've seen something on YouTube about a single wheel. It looks great on trails and has a bike like handle bars with breaks so you can just walk it granny gear type down hill