Splatt

What would you build, as the perfect coues cartridge ?

No kidding! I am in the 2950's with the 168's... I might be able to get that out of the Dakota but even then it would be pushing it.

I get 3000 fps pushing 180s & 183s in my 7RM, and 3075 fps with the 168s out of a 26" barrel. Those are not even close to max loads in my rifle either.

• Like 1

good info! I am a shade under 3K on the 168's and may have to try some 180's

• Like 1

I have been working on load development for a buddies brand new wildcat load. 6.5-.270 Ackley Imp.

Fire forming loads went really well. Spitting a multitude of 140-142 gr. projectiles at about 2902 to 2951. 140 SMK, 142 SMK, 142 NABLR, 140 Hybrid, 140 HVLD. Just trying them all for fire forming brass, and they shoot pretty well. Everything was under 1" easily (except the darn NABLRs), and the 140 Hybrid, 142 SMK, and 140 HVLD all under .700" for 5 shot groups.

I had a ladder test loaded up with some once fired brass from the rifle, but didn't have time to go out and stretch it out to 400, but I just had to know what they will be shooting like....so I shot the 3 lowest charge weight rounds just to check speed of the 140 HVLDs. 3105, 3122, 3148fps....

20160611_093945_zpspvpkpufw.jpg

Yeah, I haven't had luck with the 7mm 175 or the 6.5mm 142s at all yet. Best I have gotten is 1.25"+ out of guns known to shoot sub .25" groups. Just haven't chased them a lot yet.

We are pretty happy with it. 24 inch barrel, 70 gr h1000, cci primers.

Have you verified with more then 1 chronograph? That seems like insane speed to me.

Great numbers. Should put a hurting on anything in N. America.

Have you verified with more then 1 chronograph? That seems like insane speed to me.
Wirh that charge weight, seems pretty reasonable to my thinking. I am using 69gr. H1000, CCI250MAG primers, 180 Hybrid from a 26" barrel at 3000fps. Take off abot 60fps for the added 2" of barrel, puts them at 2940. Add a full grain of powder gets it back up close. Now add the extra 15 grains of bullet weight, but remembering the short overall bearing surface of the 195s, and 2925 seems pretty obtainable. Especially if they have them seated to get a bit of jump to the lands to speed them up.

I wonder if they went with a 1 in 8" twist? Berger says 1 in 9" minimum twist rate. I thought about the 195s too. Good to see the 7RM will push them at a good clip with a 24" barrel.

It is 1:8.

Casey,

We just used 1 chrono, but not a cheap one.

To verify speeds, I like to move it out to 600, 800, and 1000 and see where it hits compared to the charts. Then work it backwards to verify the speeds. I'll post more as we get along in the process.