Splatt

What would you build, as the perfect coues cartridge ?

I'm going to stick with a Remington 700, but what cartridge would you choose, and why ?

Something Accurate.

Long range or all day carry mountain gun?

Personally, I would pick something in the .257, .264, .284 range, fairly low recoiling. Not much different than my muley guns. I have a couple. .25-06AI, 6.5 SLR, .260 Rem.

If I needed to really stretch it out, I have a 7RM or .300RUM, both pushing heavies at a good clip.

I wouldn't build anything. I would buy a lightweight box rifle (most likely a Tikka) and then tune it, develop a load for it, and practice with it from field positions, at the range to 600 or 700 yds., and try to gain some skill at reading the wind.

Caliber would be just what LTK describes - 6.5 or 7mm in a moderate round, or something in a mag. caliber that could be loaded down to an acceptable recoil level. This varies from shooter to shooter. Standard calibers are easier to work with, and allow you to spend more time shooting, and less time screwing around doing case prep stuff. My experience is limited to '06 sized cartridges (.25-06 and .270 are favorites) but I just ordered a 6.5x55 and am looking forward to seeing what I can do with that. There are other cartridges just as good, and quite a few that are no doubt better.

This is a great topic, and always generates a lot of discussion and good info. One shooter, at a 1000 yd. match, had turned in a pretty good score. He told me ". . .oh, I am just using my hunting rifle . . " I looked at his rifle, a tricked-out .280, and thought hmmm. The kind of hunting you do, and the kind that I do must be different. How far do you hike from your vehicle? Anyway, he was a good shooter, and interesting to talk to - but I doubt if he had ever hunted coues deer.

forepaw

• Like 1

6.5's are hard to beat. i sold my .264 win mag a few months ago and now i am going to have to replace it. Will either get another .264 win mag or 6.5x284. i prefer the 6.5's that you can push a 140 above 3000fps out of. I was shooting 130's out of my .264 at about 3300 fps. They hammered everything they hit. deer, elk, bears, everything.

• Like 2

.257 weatherby or .264 win mag.

Splatt-- Not a lot of Coues experience here but I've killed lots of whitetail in NC, KY and OK. After my trip to AZ I felt my choice of 6.5x284 was spot on. The only thing I might have changed was to go up to a slightly faster version of a 6.5 or maybe even a quarter bore. I think on an animal the size of the Coues deer you can focus on velocity to reduce your drops at range and simplify your shooting equations/hold over, without compromising terminal performance.

If I were building a Rem 700 specific to come hunt Coues again it would be one of the fast 6.5s (.264WM, .26Nosler, 6.5SAUM) as fast as I could push a 130gr or .257s (weatherby or a 25-06AI) pushing a 100gr or 110gr AB. Matter of fact I have the 25-06 barreled action right now so that may happen sooner than later.

I must be a little odd, but the way I did it and would do it again and look at the bullet I want, or at least bullet design that I want to shoot and have a Target velocity in mind and then start looking at what cartridges make it to that, giving myself a 100 fps buffer. (Claims 3100, really makes 3000 etc)

• Like 2

you do not say if you reload. the rifle/barrel is more important than the cartridge. I would pick the one that will shoot a 5" inch group ( or less) at 500 yards. if you are talking about a factory rem 700, since they do not offer a 6.5-284 I would say a 25-06.

Currently I have a 257 weatherby that I'm loading 110gr accubonds for.

Switched from 100gr tsx's. Was running them waaaay hot, the little I shot the Vanguard.

Going to start over, and switching to 7mm RM resized/formed brass.

What's really working for me right now, out to 900 yards, is a rebarreled 700, to 7mm RM with a stainless, fluted, ti barrel.

66.0 grains of rldr 22, under a 160gr accubond.

Been tossing around the idea of building a 264 wm, or some 6.5 of some flavor.

Not sure how light or heavy yet ?

My friend who I'm going with, for my first coues hunt, runs around on a 4 wheeler, and says, ya don't have to carry stuff far from it.

I'm fixing to come out of retirement, so my world is going to change to weekends and holidays off, and no vacation til next year.

I was gearing up, but now throttled back, because I don't know if I'll get to use my 14 year wait tag !!

Oh, and another 257 weatherby is looking awful nice, in a stainless Remington CDL model.