Splatt

What would you build, as the perfect coues cartridge ?

I think the 25's are pretty perfect for coues. 257 Wby Mag in the accumark, just about anything 6.5 - I'm partial to the 6.5x284 norma, I also like .300 WSM and .270 WSM.

If I were to build one today, it would be like Doug's (Red Rabbit) 6.5 WSM. That has just about everything I like in a gun out west. But you have to hand load, lol. No stopping in at Wal Mart and picking up a box of 6.5 WSM,

How did you modify brass?

I do the same with my 257 weatherby. I take new 7mm Rem mag case, lube them and full length size them. I load a light load the first time around to form the case and then it is game on. My 257 weatherby loves h1000 and berger hvld's. If I do my part it will shoot sub-moa at 500 yards in an almost stock weatherby vanguard.

Harley

• Like 2

I would build a rifle around the 6.5 140 Berger or the 7mm 162 AMax...

Run these bullets at at 2900+ and their velocity thresholds gets you to 900 yards...

Make the rifle all up at no more than 7 pounds...

Anything on the SAUM case or the '06 case would easily get you there with a tube at 23"...

We just built a 7mm mag. It is finicky, but with some help from a friend, we finally found the recipe that overlaps Berger 195s. Velocity is 2935. Now we will stretch it out to the long distances.

• Like 1

Just when you think you know what caliber you'd like for you next rifle, you go and read a post like this and everything changes.

• Like 1

I started it just to get us all talking.

Seemed a bit slow around here.

I'm thinking maybe going 6mm-06. I have 3, 30-06's laying around here, so donors abound !

A 105gr at ???, 3400, 3500, ??

post-5700-0-02195100-1407694712_thumb.jpg

I still love my 7mm RM but we are working on a 6.5 as well which should be a little lighter.

Stiller Predator action

McMillan stock

Brux Barrel

Jewel

Leupold ER/T

We have shot it out to 1K and shot game at 560 yds. I have a 7mm Dakota that shoots 180's as fast as the 7mm RM shoots the 168gr but it is on the heavy side. Hit targets at 1,150 with that one and it would be a great caliber if brass were not expensive and sometimes hard to find. It started as a plain old 700 action.

I will also add that a great light carry rifle like a 243 Tikka light would be great for humping it through the brush. I had one occasion in Mexico I wished I had that instead of the heavy gun.

• Like 2

I just built my wife a 7mm Remmington SAUM. Thing is shooting the 162 AMAX's @ 3000 fps. I built it on the slightly heavy side but with a super short barrel and a folding stock. 33 inches total length when folded up 😱 You can pull the trigger and watch the bullet hit at 400 yards. I am pretty dang impressed. Just got it so we haven't tested it too much but I am kind of jealous. LOL

• Like 1

I just built my wife a 7mm Remmington SAUM. Thing is shooting the 162 AMAX's @ 3000 fps. I built it on the slightly heavy side but with a super short barrel and a folding stock. 33 inches total length when folded up 😱 You can pull the trigger and watch the bullet hit at 400 yards. I am pretty dang impressed. Just got it so we haven't tested it too much but I am kind of jealous. LOL

What folding stock did you use? I was thinking about buying the folding stock option for my XLR Evolution stock.

Is Hornady still making the 162 Amax or have they replaced it with 208 Eld? It seems like it's the same bullet with the heat resistant tip.

We just built a 7mm mag. It is finicky, but with some help from a friend, we finally found the recipe that overlaps Berger 195s. Velocity is 2935. Now we will stretch it out to the long distances.

Youre getting 2935 from a Remingon 7mm mag and the 195s?! how long is the barrel? That is OUTSTANDING velocity for that cartridge and bullet.

• Like 1