Sign in to follow this  
Hoss50

Pack recommendations for a big guy?

I am in the market for a new day pack. My current camelback is to small especially during elk season with 3 layers on. I am 6'4" and 300+ depending on the day. I have a big build so I need a recommendation on something comfortable for me. I just looked at a nice 100oz camelback day pack but for $150 I figure there might be better options.

Is there a good place to go look at packs locally? I am probably going to get a seperate pack frame for trying to carry quartered elk and such, but I want a little larger and better fitting g day pack.

Thanks
Harley

Probably about $200 on the top end.

Im 6'5" but only 220. Finding packs that fit correctly has been a problem. Needing a frame built for long torsos limits the choices big time. The $200.00 budget also presents a problem. I would suggest looking for a used Outdoorsmans pack.

here is a link on fitting a pack.

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/backpacks-torso-hip-size.html

If you decide to sell a kidney, a 26" frame from kifaru should work. That way you will never have to buy another frame ever again

• Like 2

Ugh...you dont need to spend $4-500 for a pack from kifaru or outdoorsmans etc. they arent any better than a cheaper pack and sometimes worse. Go to sportsmans, try on all their packs but dont limit yourself to hunting pack sction as their backpacking section has some awesome bigger packs as well.

as someone who has hiked and hunted with backpacks that didn't fit for years, I can tell you that getting a backpack that fits is important. That is if you are hoping to carry any sort of heavy load, over a distance. I was shocked on how much of a difference it made.

Bigger people have fewer options on what fits and it usually costs more. Getting a pack that fits, is comfortable, durable and functional is the trick. Affordable would be nice, but so would magic shoes that magically transport us to our hunting spot and back to our truck.

I am probably going to get a seperate pack frame, and just increase the size of my day pack for now.

What I was kind of looking at that would be a bid upgrade over what I have is something like this.

https://www.rei.com/product/867296/camelbak-fourteener-24-hydration-pack-100-fl-oz

Im 6'3 230 ish and last year got the badland 2200, as mentioned above got to Sportmans, Cabelas or bass pro and try some on. I love the pack, I carried out well over 100 lbs of gear and salt last week and had no issues. Lifetime no questions asked warranty, they actually want you to try and break it so they can make improvements on the bag. Not super pricey but a little above your $200 budget. Highly recommend this bag.

• Like 1

I was going to say the 2200 as well, but midget Brian beat me to it. I'm about 6'2-6'3 2nunayadamnbidbess pounds, and long torso and the 2200 fit me well. When I Killed my bull in 2014, I loaded the pack with way to much weight and it carried like a dream. They can be found fairly cheap used.

• Like 2

I was going to say the 2200 as well, but midget Brian beat me to it. I'm about 6'2-6'3 2nunayadamnbidbess pounds, and long torso and the 2200 fit me well. When I Killed my bull in 2014, I loaded the pack with way to much weight and it carried like a dream. They can be found fairly cheap used.

If only that could have been your 10000 post.

If only that could have been your 10000 post.

Guess I'll have to waste it responding to you.

• Like 1