Sign in to follow this  
Millhouse

Climbing tree stand?

This may be a dumb question, so please forgive me.

I have a climbing tree stand I bought off a member a few years ago. I have yet to use it.

My question is, can it be used like a regular hang-on stand? The tree I'm looking at using has tons of branches that I am not willing to cut. Can I climb the tree, pull up the stand, and assmble up in the tree?

Maybe some of you have tried this and can give some feedback. Good or bad or dumb idea?

Thanks!

Yes it work that way if needed. If you leave it in a tree make sure you cable lock it. I would also recommend strongly to use a strap/rope to link the bottom and top portion of the stand. That way if you kick or nudge it and it accidentally slides you don't lose it down the tree. This is more common than you think with climbers. The other option would be to use a ratchet strap on the top and bottom portion to attach them more solidly to the tree.

I've never done it, I always used hang ons in that situation... if you do tho be very careful getting into it. Climbers use the weight of the person on it to dig into the tree that stabilizes the platform... so with no weight on it and trying to step onto the platform any lateral movement on that platform could make it spin around the tree and have you doing an aerial split into a free fall. Long story short set your climbing sticks higher than the platfrom and step down onto it, AND use a harness.

These are great for the younger guys but I finally gave them up after a few close calls. Once you are set it's all good but at 65 I don't have the energy to climb back down and up after I drop or forget something. lol

If you're going to sit for only a couple hours at a time, you can us just about anything. If your goi g to sit all day, do your butt and back a favor and get something with a hanging hammock style seat. I cant even begin to tell you how much more comfortable they are for long sits.

As for using a ladder to get in and out of a climber, thatd be hard to do with the ones I've used as they all had the wrap around bar type upper section. I have unstrapped the upper section from around the tree and reattached it above a branch so I could inch up another foot or two and get some leaf cover around me, but its not very convenient and really not necessary where I normally hunt out of one. I just try to climb at least a good fifteen feet up and if possible climb a tree that has other trees around it to help break up your shape and keep you from being skylined.

• Like 1

I used a climber stand for the first time this year, never set it up in a tree. The 1st and only time I put it up it took me a bit to get it how I wanted it in the tree. But seemed to work out tagged out 2nd day in January...