Sign in to follow this  
5guyshunting

Tombstone Tactical

Pay for the weapon before the background check, if the check is DENIED, money is returned. All too often the owner/salesman sits on the phone during peak times and finally gets approval and the buyer backs out or it's delayed and the guy never shows up. That means the gun is in the safe with his name on it, not on the rack where another customer could buy it.

It's worse for a smaller shop which has such a high percentage of capital invested on the wall.

As far as the law, well, there are some ATF agents who will say what's gospel but is totally incorrect. I like the ATF Agents, they are a bunch of great guys doing a job, but they are not legal experts. On the form is the background check THEN the info on the weapon transfer (make model caliber S/N).

I had a guy tell me that I need a manufacturer's license to blue or re-blue guns, I called him on it.. He called me back a few days later to say I was correct and he was misinformed. Takes a big man to do that.

• Like 1

I guess I have a completely different view of the store. My wife and I went in there two weeks ago looking for a conceal gun for her. The store was very busy at the time and the guy at the counter immediately greeted us and asked what we were looking for. We told him and he helped us for about an hour while looking at probably 12 to 15 guns, most of which he had to get from the vault in the back. She finally made a decision on the gun she liked and he then helped her go through the holsters until she found one she liked. We paid and did the online check. Everything went smooth and the guy was very helpful.

Well first off, there is no law stating the gun must be paid for before a background check can be performed. That was a lie.

What I do is if I order something for someone I charge them a 10% non-refundable deposit. When they show up to pick it up, I do the background check, then collect the balance after they pass. If they fail, they go on their way but I keep the deposit.

If it's a gun I have in stock and they fail, no big deal they just go on their way without the gun and no charge. If they pass, I collect payment after the background check is complete.

For transfers, I charge $30 which they pay before the background check is completed. If they fail, there is no refund on the $30. They're paying for my time in that situation and it's the same, if not more work for me if they fail. If they fail, I have to worry about sending the gun back to where it came from (on the customers dime of course).

Did you buy the gun from TT or just use them for the xfer? if you bought from them, they should do the xfer free included in the gun sale

The gun was purchased from them.

I second the comments of one of theses threads. The only thing a local shop has to offer is service. No service, no problem. It's probably online for cheaper anyway. I'd rather support local though.

Did you buy the gun from TT or just use them for the xfer? if you bought from them, they should do the xfer free included in the gun sale

The gun was purchased from them.

Changes the scenario completely, If you purchased the gun there then there shouldn't be a charge for a background check.

When someone orders a gun on line or has a gun shipped in, you're paying for the employees time to sit on the phone (sometimes for extended periods) and filling out the forms, and recording the firearm in and out.