Norteno

Do I need a 20yd pin ?

So I have my 20 sighted in perfect totally flawless grouping when no go out to 40 I'm shooting low I'm at a 29in draw with 55lbs it's an older bow high country brute however u feel like its just me moving..

2z8t2xx.jpg

• Like 5

So I have my 20 sighted in perfect totally flawless grouping when no go out to 40 I'm shooting low I'm at a 29in draw with 55lbs it's an older bow high country brute however u feel like its just me moving..

If you're shooting low on your 40 yard pin then you need to dial it in better..Everyone groups at 20

I think it all depends on your preferences. Also as mentioned what you practice with.

I read a really interesting article on how a guy did his setup for elk. He had one pin and I forget what his yardage bracket was something like 18 to 40 yards. The concept is based around your arrows trajectory. Your arrow obviously has an up and down path. Depending on your setup there is a long distance where the arrow only goes up say 5 inches and then back down 5 inches. basically well within the kill zone of a bull elk. Basically to get rid of clutter and avoid accidentally using the wrong pin he only had one for those yardages. He set it up weird where that pin was set low so all he had to do was put it basically in the armpit of the elk and would not worry about anything else IF it was in the designated distance bracket.

To me it really made a lot of sense. In the heat of battle having something that is extremely easy makes sense. In all reality It's not like youre trying to shoot a quarter sized 12 ring. You're trying to hit an area the size of a plate (ON ELK). Now don't get me wrong the more accurate you can be the better. I know that when I shot my elk with my bow he was roughly 30 yards. I did not range it. I distinctly remember looking at all my pins and my 20 to 50 pins were all in the kill zone. There was no way I was going to miss. I remember thinking why do I have all these stacked in pins for elk when one would be very sufficient for anything from 0 to 45 yards.

Not sure if any of that makes any sense but I really relate it to rifles. Say you have a gun that shoots 1 MOA at 100 yards (1" group). For most that is really good. That means at 500 yards you will be shooting 5 inch type groups. Well within the kill zone of any big game animals we have. And what most people are happy with.

It boils down to what margin of error are you ok with. Let's be honest there are margins of error just in our abilities especially when you put a big elk in front of you @30 yards. IMO it's also why traditional shooters only shoot to a certain close range. That all important arc in the arrows path. Where is that the smallest. Out to 30 yards it might go up and down 5 inches. More than effective. Add a sight and you can go farther. But if your limiting the distance to where that arc path is well within kill zone parameter you possibly only need 1pin!!!!

It's not much difference in drop but a few inches on a string jumping coues deer is a lot.

Whatever you decide, my suggestion is don't change it at the last minute. Practice with what you are going to take in the field. When your adrenaline is pumping, the last thing you need to worry about is what is that pin set for.

Both solid points. If you are familiar and comfortable with your setup, you will be able to make many different options work. Practice whatever you go with and the rest will fall in place on game day.

I use a 3 pin slider CBE 30-50-?. Going to keep it for cow elk this year.

Same set-up missed a called in stink-pig at a little under 20 yards. I shoot a 280 ish fps set up. He ducked and over the back it went. 3 inches on a pig was the difference in missing and tagging out. Like the 15 yard pin idea for piggys. Of course the wife hit hers with one shot at 25 before I missed...... twice. But that's for a different section.

• Like 1

Nice topic. First, my setup from the stone ages. A '96 PSE Nova, game getter II Easton arrows, 55# with a cruising speed of 208 FPS with 100 gr. BH's. Still shoots great for me and it works. I took it over to the HQ and had them replace my original string. The staff was great even after they passed it around each other and suggested it be stored in some museum somewhere. Following the shop banter, we settled on a whisker biscuit rest, some monkey tails and a D-loop. Since a friend was upgrading to an adjustable site, I adopted his old fiber optic 5 pin site. I'm thinking, sweet, I'll go from my old 3 pin threaded (20, 30, 40) to a 5 pin.

So I've been shooting and tuning my bow in sessions (shoulder usually gets tired first and my form goes in the toilet). For me, having all these extra pins seems a bit crowded. I'm not sure if its just a learning curve going from the old 3 pin with all kinds of room to the five pin studio apartment?. I know I'm limited on my '96 technology, just need to find a good balance before dropping the coin for the new speed demon Bows of today. BTW, getting it ready for deer and turkey only. I'll probably also take that giant step to carbon arrows after all these years to gain me a little more accuracy and FPS. Any ideas or suggestions on Spine for my above setup?

Gotta give a shout out to Adam, Dan and Grant over at the HQ. They are top notch. >>>----------------------->

Nice topic. First, my setup from the stone ages. A '96 PSE Nova, game getter II Easton arrows, 55# with a cruising speed of 208 FPS with 100 gr. BH's. Still shoots great for me and it works. I took it over to the HQ and had them replace my original string. The staff was great even after they passed it around each other and suggested it be stored in some museum somewhere. Following the shop banter, we settled on a whisker biscuit rest, some monkey tails and a D-loop. Since a friend was upgrading to an adjustable site, I adopted his old fiber optic 5 pin site. I'm thinking, sweet, I'll go from my old 3 pin threaded (20, 30, 40) to a 5 pin.

So I've been shooting and tuning my bow in sessions (shoulder usually gets tired first and my form goes in the toilet). For me, having all these extra pins seems a bit crowded. I'm not sure if its just a learning curve going from the old 3 pin with all kinds of room to the five pin studio apartment?. I know I'm limited on my '96 technology, just need to find a good balance before dropping the coin for the new speed demon Bows of today. BTW, getting it ready for deer and turkey only. I'll probably also take that giant step to carbon arrows after all these years to gain me a little more accuracy and FPS. Any ideas or suggestions on Spine for my above setup?

Gotta give a shout out to Adam, Dan and Grant over at the HQ. They are top notch. >>>----------------------->

My suggestion is that with a bow like that you limit shots to 40 so a 5 pin sight probably is overkill as you won't need the last two pins. There's a lot more then speed that you gain with a new bow. The accuracy you'll gain with the new parrellel limbs and cam technology far outweighs the speed gain. You can get s really nice used bow that is head and shoulders better then a nova for what you probbaly put into yours with the biscuit strings and monkey tails.

Guest akaspecials

I've always set the top of my sight housing as the 20 yard pin, then from there run out 30-40-50-60-70. This then leaves the bottom of my sight housing in my bubble at 90 yards. I "stack pins" to shoot 80 and 100. Limit to 50 on animals though.

Yotebuster said:My suggestion is that with a bow like that you limit shots to 40 so a 5 pin sight probably is overkill as you won't need the last two pins. There's a lot more then speed that you gain with a new bow. The accuracy you'll gain with the new parrellel limbs and cam technology far outweighs the speed gain. You can get s really nice used bow that is head and shoulders better then a nova for what you probbaly put into yours with the biscuit strings and monkey tails.

Thanks Yotebuster. Forty yards has always been my upper threshold for deer with my old setup. You nailed the word I was looking for earlier, "overkill". Thanks for the tips. I'll just use 3 of the 5 pins. I just need to get two more years out of it before getting ready for elk in 2018. I'll retire Nova then, god willing.

i killed an antelope at 63 with my nova. but i think it has 70lb limbs.

63 yds with a Nova! Old school long range like Quigly Down Under.
  • Like 2

Guest 300ultramag.

if a 20yd shot is presented and you don't have a 20 yd pin can you hit the vitals?

I think if you can say yes to the above thats your answer.

i killed an antelope at 63 with my nova. but i think it has 70lb limbs.

63 yds with a Nova! Old school long range like Quigly Down Under.

i thought i was pretty dang cool. did have to track it for 5-6 hours after though.