Norteno

Do I need a 20yd pin ?

Last night I cleared out some real estate and everything fell into place. Sighted in the 20,30 and 40 yard pins. Not sure who much of it was mechanical adjustment or mental adjustment. Its Miller Time.................

^^^this. I have a 3 pin slider and find it is the best of both worlds. No pin clutter at all and at 20 yards my 30 pin is about 2.5" high. Knowing that I see no need for a 20 yard pin especially because I fell once I am within 30 there is no real need to get closer as it ups your odds of getting busted and it is plenty close!

• Like 1

^^^this. I have a 3 pin slider and find it is the best of both worlds. No pin clutter at all and at 20 yards my 30 pin is about 2.5" high. Knowing that I see no need for a 20 yard pin especially because I fell once I am within 30 there is no real need to get closer as it ups your odds of getting busted and it is plenty close!

Makes a lot of sense.

so you have like 30-50-70 and a slider or how does that all work out?

So everytime you want to shoot something over 50 you gotta range it, then look it up on your bow and slide your pin to that range before you shoot it? isnt that complicated and time consuming in the heat of the moment?

So everytime you want to shoot something over 50 you gotta range it, then look it up on your bow and slide your pin to that range before you shoot it? isnt that complicated and time consuming in the heat of the moment?

Exactly why I wont use one. Just another opportunity for error and/or malfunction. I know some people love them, hit not for me. The simpler the better.

• Like 1

7-pin sight set from 30 to 90...worked great on my antelope hunt, but after missing a couple of shots on coyotes less than 30yds I switched to 20-80. I forgot to hold low and having a pin helps me in the moment.

• Like 1

Mine is set at 30, 40, 50. Works for me and really takes no time at all to adjust it if the target is out past 50.

• Like 1

Mine is set at 30, 40, 50. Works for me and really takes no time at all to adjust it if the target is out past 50.

I've played around with a sngle pin slider on one of my bows. For punching paper, I love it. Really a lot easier to aim with a small sight ring and just one pin. I just get too dang excited when its time to shoot at something with fur on it, I know id forget to move it or stick it in the wrong spot.

Old topic but after ranging a buck 61 and adrenaline I used my 3 pin tek hybrid 30,40,50 and put that 50 on dead money. Of course I missed the deer because I didnt slide my sight. Fast forward to yesterday. Stink pig at 20, relaxed no clue I was there. Center lungs and let it rip.3-4 high cut his spine in half and didnt take a step. I cant fix my brain from 20-60 five pin shooting. Going back to 5 pin slider and hope to never shoot past 60.

Maybe for you speed freaks it doesnt matter, but 3-4 inches on a pig does. I still like the paintball idea best......

i killed an antelope at 63 with my nova. but i think it has 70lb limbs.

63 yds with a Nova! Old school long range like Quigly Down Under.

i thought i was pretty dang cool. did have to track it for 5-6 hours after though.
That wasnt the bows fault though.

i thought i was pretty dang cool. did have to track it for 5-6 hours after though.

true but he's on my wall so i think i did a pretty dang good job.

• Like 1

true but he's on my wall so i think i did a pretty dang good job.

Any Antelope with a bow is a great job!
  • Like 1

I use a 5 pin slider. 20-60. I went to heavier arrows otherwise I could have gotten away with 30-70. 70 is my personal limit on animals although I feel confident to much further. The beauty of having a slider is being precise at further distances. No guess work. For most people's trajectories, using your 60 yard pin for a 63 yard shot results in hitting 2-3 inches low. Still a kill shot on some animals but add that 2-3 inches of error on top of buck fever and shaking at might cause a miss or better yet a wounded deer. Some people are good at splitting pins but I am not and don't want to have to guess where to aim. Same reason people have turrets on their scopes. For years I shot seven pin sights out to 90 but going to the five pin slider is one of the best moves I have made in awhile. I think It's especially important If you wound a deer and he stops out there at 93 yards or 77 yards. Try to guess where to hold your pins at those distances. I would probably have missed high or low a few inches before I went to the slider. Now I know I'm hitting right where I'm aiming.