Sign in to follow this  
creed

mouth reeds

So I admit I am not the best elk hunter around. In fact I stink. I am trying to master mouth reeds and am not having any luck.

Just wondering what you guys would recommend to a piss poor elk hunter and worse elk caller? I need something easy. Any suggestions?

Look up Steve Chappell's calls the matriarch is a very good call. You can learn it very easy and he has videos on how to use it properly and it makes a very sweet sound I highly recommend it. I love mine

Find one that fits your palate. Sometimes you have to cut a bit of the call to get it to fit right. The one that works for me is Primos Sonic Dome Double. Before I used mouth calls I started with bite and blow calls, the hyper lip. Much easier to use unless you are in bow range.

I'm a fan of the Primos Palate plates myself. You definitely have to try several to find the one that works best for you.

• Like 1

What I have done is find one that fits my mouth which sometimes means trimming them along the sides and throw it in my truck. Then I practice as I drive around town. Otherwise you will drive the wife, kids and dogs crazy. I know this from experience.

• Like 6

Be persistent trying your mouth calls. You can perfect it if you do not give up quickly. Took me two weeks of persistence to get thru many issues and finally perfect the calls. Guess I'm called a "slow study".

Primos hyperlip single has been fool proof for me and my family. I feel gets the greatest results. Its a cow call. I don't bugle unless I am just having fun or I am in the thick of the rut and bulls are sounding off.

Sir what part of the valley u in....

Tonopah

Thanks for the help guys. Maybe I am expecting too much too soon. I'll keep after it.

If can't use a mouth calls get a primos cow girl or simaler call and for bugles get a mac daddy both pretty simple and sound decent

6anut bought me a primos top pin mouth reed... it was easier than others I tried. If you can't seem to get that down try a Wayne carlton bite down call

James

I bought a variety pack of Primos which had 4 different types of reeds. The white (single reed) seems to work the best for me, but I am no master either. In addition to the videos you can buy, there is a plethora of videos on YouTube that were helpful to me.

• Like 1

order some Phelps game calls much higher quality than Primos. You could buy 10 of the same diaphragm from most other brands, including primos, and 1 or 2 might actually sound right and alike.

Get Steve Chappel's CD on elk calling and practice each morning and afternoon during your commute to work. That's what I did when I drew my first bull tag and it took about 2 weeks to get decent. Aldo, don't give up.