Sign in to follow this  
Guest akaspecials

Jumping the string

Guest akaspecials

How do you guys prevent animals (especially coues) from jumping the string? I try to only shoot when their head is down or turned and they can't see me. Any other useful tips or tricks?

Shoot a little low, like 1/3 up body behind shoulder instead of half way. Wait til they're not lookin if possible,even better if they're not aware you're there.

• Like 1

Don't shoot at alerted animals. If a deer is staring at you there a good chance it's gonna jump on your shot

If your hunting water there's a super high chance of the jump. 3 years ago i had a 120 buck come in back to back days on water, and both times he pulled an absolute matrix move on my shot and both were under 30 yards. Head down and drinking looking away and grazzed him both times. I agree on the aim in the lower third of the body, cause when a coues buck loads up to run it's amazing how low the get on the spring.

some may disagree but if they are mid step, the chances of them jumping your string is pretty minimal..

I would rather shoot on a slow walking deer than try to stop them with the famous "baaaa"

• Like 2

some may disagree but if they are mid step, the chances of them jumping your string is pretty minimal..

I would rather shoot on a slow walking deer than try to stop them with the famous "baaaa"

In addition to this I'd also say that I'd rather shoot at a deer that is 40+ yards than one that is less than 30. 2nd deer I ever killed was at 78 yards, and he stood right there & watched me slip off my backpack, put an arrow on the string, range him, think it over for a couple seconds, range him again, draw, aim shoot & the last thing he saw was that arrow drop out of the sky and smoke him. Never moved a muscle until he was hit.

More recently, my last coues was at about 37 yards and he was looking in my direction (but not at me) with his ears forward alert. Didn't even flinch until he got hit.

Deer seem to have a instant flight zone, that if you're inside it and make a mistake they just bolt without a second thought, but if you're outside it, they don't seem to be as threatened. I think that zone is around the 35-40 yard mark. You can get away with a lot more mistakes with just a few extra yards of range.

• Like 1

last deer i shot over water was at 19 yards totally broadside. i aimed a little low like always. he ducked and spun 45 degrees and the arrow caught him in the front of the chest. needless to say, he didn't make it far, but i was amazed at how much he moved. i shot another one that totally ducked the arrow at 35 yards. probably dropped over a foot. luckily he didn't run far, aimed really low on the next shot and he ducked into it. i called a bull in for a friend a few years ago. he shot it at around 68 yards and if the bull didn't duck into the arrow he would have shot under it. i say the best solution without getting into an ethics debate about whether to shoot when they are walking, not shoot when they are alert, wait till they take a drink, etc is to aim low on the chest

Guest oneshot

That TV show "Baaa' to stop a deer is the most silly thing... You have just spent un-told hours working for that deer to get in bow range, and now you are going to draw attention to yourself???

Though I have let out a loud " Oi " to stop a running deer when Rifle hunting...

That TV show "Baaa' to stop a deer is the most silly thing... You have just spent un-told hours working for that deer to get in bow range, and now you are going to draw attention to yourself???

Though I have let out a loud " Oi " to stop a running deer when Rifle hunting...

I've used the silly "baaa" a ton of times to successfully stop a deer and have it shot successfully by myself or others I am hunting with. Sometimes it's the only way to get a deer to stop in a shooting lane before it disappears into a jungle of brush. I havent had it screw me up yet. Just saying.

Guest oneshot

I've used the silly "baaa" a ton of times to successfully stop a deer and have it shot successfully by myself or others I am hunting with. Sometimes it's the only way to get a deer to stop in a shooting lane before it disappears into a jungle of brush. I havent had it screw me up yet. Just saying.

I know folks(NY) that do it also with success... So there ya go...