Sign in to follow this  
bigmuleyfan

DIY Kaibab Archery advice

I was able to draw a Kaibab archery tag.(the only two hunts I put in for were the strip and Kaibab and with no points I assume it has to be Kaibab). I don't have any big expectations of some monster deer. I would like to just be able to get what would be my first mule deer. I will be going up there every weekend between now and the season to try and get more familiar with the area. I've only been up there a couple times.

I put in for this hunt as an opportunity to explore somewhere new with my Dad and my brother. I am looking forward to all the weekend trips with them just as much or even more than the hunt itself.

Any information people may be willing to share about places to hunt or things to do would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

There's a lot of deer that hang out (and are shot) in those big meadows right off the hwy headed down towards the park. But be forewarned, it'll look too easy during your scouting trips, then about a week or two before season opens all available camp spots will fill up and if you hunt around there you'll have loooooots of company.

I've only hunted there once and did not tag out. I had an opportunity at a little one the first night and let him walk, didn't get another shot opportunity for the rest of the week we were up there.

that having been said, there is a lot of nice mulies up there and that area is beautiful, one of the pretties places in Az. Also lots of turkeys, so bring a tag for those as well.

I've noticed exactly that already this summer. We went up there a few weeks back and it looked WAY too easy, 200+ deer in a 4 hour period of time. I am not expecting that at all come deer season.

Have fun. Don't shoot the first buck you see. We used to hunt the Bab during archery season every year before it was a draw, and I was about 50%. I had opportunities every year, but started holding out for better bucks. My most memorable miss that still gives me nightmares was up there. A 30+" 4x4 @ 40 yards...right over his back. Hunt water.

• Like 1

My best advice is drive the roads so I can shoot them in the canyons that you push them into!!! thanks for the help if you are kind enough to take my advice.

My best advice is drive the roads so I can shoot them in the canyons that you push them into!!! thanks for the help if you are kind enough to take my advice.

You joke, but in all honesty, one of the biggest bucks I have personally seen taken up there, a huge heavy 8x9, was killed on our way to camp just off the road as my friend got out, stepped off the road and arrowed him. I was in utter disbelief.

• Like 2

I have been up there dozens of times for hunting, camping, etc... I have seen deer literally everywhere. Most areas are good for deer ( some better than others), do some scouting as close to season as possible and you should have a opportunity to put some meat in the freezer.

Yep living an hour and 20 min away I know you can find great deer off the road but I don't consider it hunting when you just drive roads I was saying that comment because I know how many people up there just drive around and never leaving there truck unless it is when they get back to camp

• Like 1

Check the burn areas......and the fringe areas near the burn. You might like what you find. Good luck and have fun.

Yep living an hour and 20 min away I know you can find great deer off the road but I don't consider it hunting when you just drive roads I was saying that comment because I know how many people up there just drive around and never leaving there truck unless it is when they get back to camp

Just so you know sir, it gets exponentially tougher to find a flat place to set your beverage the farther you are from a vehicle.

I'd road hunt the higher stuff.

Some of those roads are pretty choppy, you better make sure you put your beer in one of those thick foam koozy things to keep it from splashing out the top.