GreyGhost85

1997 Ford F250 7.3l diesel

Very clean truck! Sometimes I wish they kept that 7.3 around for longer than they did!

Ford put all their eggs in one basket with the 6.0, and that didn't work out so well but the 7.3 option ended in 2003 here but was still be produced down under for 2004, maybe later.

I have 278K on mine.

You can thank the guberment for the demise of the 7.3. The big engine couldn't meet tightening emissions guidelines so Navistar trimmed off about 80 cubic inches a few injector changes and gave you the 6.0. Ironic thing is, you get better mileage with the 7.3. My 6.0 never got better than 16.5mpg on the Hiway. But at 290K miles and a tough life, were still plowing along.
  • Like 2

Very clean truck! Sometimes I wish they kept that 7.3 around for longer than they did!

Ford put all their eggs in one basket with the 6.0, and that didn't work out so well but the 7.3 option ended in 2003 here but was still be produced down under for 2004, maybe later.

I have 278K on mine.

You can thank the guberment for the demise of the 7.3. The big engine couldn't meet tightening emissions guidelines so Navistar trimmed off about 80 cubic inches a few injector changes and gave you the 6.0. Ironic thing is, you get better mileage with the 7.3. My 6.0 never got better than 16.5mpg on the Hiway. But at 290K miles and a tough life, were still plowing along.

More specifically you can thank the first Clinton administration and the cafe standards that D bag put in place. Don't worry the 2nd Clinton administration will be just as bad.

• Like 1

I have 278K on mine.

More specifically you can thank the first Clinton administration and the cafe standards that D bag put in place. Don't worry the 2nd Clinton administration will be just as bad.
was about to post the same. Cafe standards have changed the entire industry! Ever wonder why your engines gets smaller and they put a turbo on everything? Turbos make the masses happy because "yeah!!!! A turbo! Boost gauges!! Turbo forums!!" Even though they don't know how a charged air system works haha!! Small engines and turbos make better emissions. Can't use an engine sized for the vehicle weight cause it'll push out too much "bad stuff" the turbo allows them to meet standards and the power that customers want. Oh and free bump! Love those trucks

I have 278K on mine.

was about to post the same. Cafe standards have changed the entire industry! Ever wonder why your engines gets smaller and they put a turbo on everything? Turbos make the masses happy because "yeah!!!! A turbo! Boost gauges!! Turbo forums!!" Even though they don't know how a charged air system works haha!! Small engines and turbos make better emissions. Can't use an engine sized for the vehicle weight cause it'll push out too much "bad stuff" the turbo allows them to meet standards and the power that customers want. Oh and free bump! Love those trucks

those older ones cant get out of their own way

Just to talk more about this truck, and the 7.3L, here's a pic of my 2002 7.3, with all the Banks upgrades.

123k on it, and has all the power I need.

Last fill up, after towing a 30ft pontoon to the lake and back, a trip up into Colorado, and days running in town, was 16.7.

I'm happy with it.

20160212_120027_zpsviu6ju2c.jpg

• Like 3

I don't own one of these trucks or really want to, but felt left out because everyone else is posting on here.

• Like 2

The 7.3 was a great motor and as bulletproof as they came. But there is nothing like 600 HP and 1100 Lb Ft of Torque AND getting 16 mpg!

post-14124-0-39754300-1468530582_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

I put 350k miles on 2 of them , Sold them and they are still roaring. The last one didn't like the -30 temps when I took it to N. Dakota tho. But then either did I...............BOB!

Great truck. Pre Super Duty Fords are my favorite from the Blue Oval.

bump it up. it's going to craigslist here in a couple days

• Like 1