Sign in to follow this  
azdeserthunter

Two sheep tags double the fun!

Well I'm shocked to announce that two close friends drew Desert Sheep tags this year. Not sure which units yet but they may have drawn the same unit. It's going be interesting for sure. I'm sure here pretty soon they'll be getting tons of mail from all the sheep Outfitters.

• Like 1

thats cool. i too was drawn and so was my wife's boss. it funny cause we both put in for the same unit. weird.

That's awesome congrats on the tags

Double Trouble! Two tags same unit who gets the shot at that 190+ first? Congrats

The auction hunter?

• Like 6

TRKHNTR, on 13 Jul 2016 - 11:23 AM, said:snapback.png

Double Trouble! Two tags same unit who gets the shot at that 190+ first? Congrats

The auction hunter?

Exactly!!! It's an F'd up system when people that waited their entire lives to draw can have the one truly trophy sheep shot out from under them, on their once in a lifetime tag, because G&F worships the rich!

The auction hunter?

Exactly!!! It's an F'd up system when people that waited their entire lives to draw can have the one truly trophy sheep shot out from under them, on their once in a lifetime tag, because G&F worships the rich!

Lol without the auction hunters there wouldn't be any sheep.

The auction hunter?

youre going to have to explain that one to me

The auction hunter?

I agree. What a crock. How many tags they auction/raffle now?

The auction hunter?

That pathetic excuse is the same one the feds and state gov use as in ...... raise taxes we're broke, instead of making cuts and spending less.

Spend a little time learning about the system before we get into a huge debate when we don't know how it really works or how it benefits wildlife in AZ. There would be sheep in AZ without the raffle tags but there are tons of projects that couldn't get done or would take many more years to get done without the HPC funding. There are 3 tags for bighorn sheep 1 Rocky, 1 Nelsoni, and 1 Maxicana.

Here is a list of projects funded last year for each species.

http://www.azgfd.gov/w_c/documents/projectfundingforwebsite_000.pdf

One tag was sold at auction this year and raised over $300,000 that can only be spent on bighorn sheep. The Rocky raised $180,000 too! Not sure what the # was on the super raffle.

All the tags sold through the general draw for sheep only raise $40,000 for the tags and

$200,000 in app fees.

The HPC process is actually doing lots of good for hunters in AZ (rich and poor).

• Like 1

The auction hunter?

youre going to have to explain that one to me

Sure. The guys that bid on the auction tags pour more money into sheep habitat and preservation than the game and fish or us than has ever been spent on sheep. The GandF doesn't care enough about sheep to spend anywhere near what they do. 96 tags at $300 or another 1000 deer tags over the state at $45. One species is a money pit that is not sustainable with a $300 tag. So yeah I'm still gonna play without the auction tags in the mix, but I don't want to hear anyone complain about a $6000 sheep tag.