Big Browns

I'm getting excited for Dove season!!!!

We have been out 3 times so far. There doesn't seem to be as many as in previous years but still plenty of birds. We had had limits for everyone by around 8 AM each morning. Last two times my son has beat me to a limit and has been on fire.

20160905_081154.jpg

• Like 6

This labor day weekend was a good one! For my first time out dove hunting I would say it was successful because I didn't come home empty handed. I wasn't even close to bag a limit but sure did have fun trying!

Saturday evening went out my first time with my Grandfather and a buddy of mine. Pretty good flights the last twenty minutes of the day. I should've bagged a limit if I wasn't a horrible shot! My Grandfather had a good time laughing at me the whole time when I was missing hahaha. He said he would've showed me up if he bought a stamp haha :rolleyes: :lol: . Great weather and no other hunters.

Sunday morning went out with my 8yr old daughter and had a blast. Not much birds flying but still took a couple home. Met up with another CWT member "azruger" and his kids. Great guy who has helped me with pointers and answering questions on dove hunting. His son was a great shot with his 12ga and his daughter and my daughter kept each other company retrieving birds. Thanks again azruger!

Monday evening I went out with my buddy and my 3yr old son. Decent flights, nothing crazy. Got off a decent amount of shots but just couldn't connect. I NEED TO PRACTICE MORE! My son had a blast picking up the empty shells and stuffing his pockets. He also loved retrieving the birds and throwing them on the truck. Also found something I haven't seen in Years! A horned toad, or as my grandfather taught me when I was toddler a "horny toad". This one was big and its been at least a good 15-20 years since I've seen one, I used to catch them in my grandparents back yard all the time.

All in all a fun weekend!

93B2E7E6-34DB-401E-AB6B-7AB40519FA05_zps

A6E2471A-DA35-478F-8F90-7CEA5CA1FEFB_zps

• Like 7

Great times pelapapas. I was great meeting you look forward to hunting with you again in the future.

Sure was. We will get together in the field again soon.

We had another great afternoon shoot with the kids. All 3 kids limited! We ended with over 75 birds between 5 shooters!

Thats looks like a great time out there! Congrats to all who bagged their limit. I give my respect to all those who can shoot these birds down with ease. It's a lot tougher than I was expecting, but man is it fun!

• Like 1

If your having a hard time hitting birds I highly recommend changing to a more open choke. Especially during the early season when the birds are coming in close. A Cylinder or Improved Cylinder choke will usually help those who are struggling hitting birds. Once you get your confidence up you can switch to a Modified choke so you can hit birds a little further out.

• Like 1

If your having a hard time hitting birds I highly recommend changing to a more open choke. Especially during the early season when the birds are coming in close. A Cylinder or Improved Cylinder choke will usually help those who are struggling hitting birds. Once you get your confidence up you can switch to a Modified choke so you can hit birds a little further out.

Thanks for the info! I'm going to have to try that!

This...plus I found when I started paying attention that I was more pointing by instinct and not aiming...once I started paying more attention to a little form and aiming more I hit much better. Every year it seems to take me a while to figure this out even though it is simple.
  • Like 1

I switched from my full choke to modifed and I did much better. I have never hunted dove with less than modified though. I don't get a ton of close shots where I hunt though.

new G&F twist -

I called and asked for the game warden / officer in charge of the area n of 303 loop

was advised to contact mesa office for that information

was told at mesa office -- they no longer give out the officers information - new policy

I asked - what if i'm in the field and local police are hazzling me and I need to contact a G&F officer

Sorry you'll have to contact the main office about that problem and any questions you may have because of new policy

what next !

new G&F twist -

I called and asked for the game warden / officer in charge of the area n of 303 loop

was advised to contact mesa office for that information

was told at mesa office -- they no longer give out the officers information - new policy

I asked - what if i'm in the field and local police are hazzling me and I need to contact a G&F officer

Sorry you'll have to contact the main office about that problem and any questions you may have because of new policy

what next !

I had the same issue today with the Mesa office. When I called the main office the lady had no idea what the Mesa office was talking about. She was not aware of any new Policy! Very strange!!!

I guess we need a meeting with the commissioners where they are obligated to invite law enforcement for all the surrrounding cities--- so everything and everyone is on the same page WHERE AND HOW THE BOUNDARIES FOR DOVE SEASON ARE ENFORCED - !

- no more of this I dobn't know the law crap !!!!

• Like 1