Sign in to follow this  
GreyGhost85

Coues growth this year

Anyone one else noticing coues that are really far behind on growth this year? pulled a camera this weekend and had a lot of bucks with potential but they are WAY off of what they usually are this time of year. only one buck i have on camera is starting to fork at his mainbeams. mostly really heavy bases with eyeguards bot only 6-8" mainbeams so far... going to be a lot of growth left when archery deer rolls around, at least in my area. thoughts?

• Like 3

this is the kind of stuff i'm dealing with. a lot of bucks that look just like this. this pic was taken last week

post-63-0-98420600-1469460848.jpg

post-63-0-10031700-1469460971.jpg

• Like 3

The older age class deer are right on par for their growth in my opinion. I had a deer on the 16th of july thats pushing the high 90's with even the g3's being 3 or 4 inches and the main beams being far past the g3s.

i have a buck that i know for a fact is 8 or 9 years old (i have 5 years of pics of him) and he is just barely starting to branch out. he's usually a 105" type deer. maybe he's starting to digress? saw a good muley this weekend (he'll probably finish 160-170" class) that had a LOT of growth. probably only a couple weeks left. just scratching my head on the coues this year. these are spots where i have run cameras 365 days a year for a long time so i have a lot of history with deer in the area

That's interesting and almost a complete 180 from what I've seen this year. Deer that I had on camera this time last year with almost 60% of growing left to do are around 60-70% done. I have been really scratching my head as I couldn't believe how far along they are. My spots are unusually dry this year as well which really has me confused at the growth.

Makes me feel better about the 5 bucks I glassed up on Friday. Only one was "decent", but after these reports he might be worth trying to keep an eye on. He was just inside his ears with forks and eyeguards forming.

This is from July 9th, this buck was 105" class last year with double forked g2's.

DAN

post-529-0-55069800-1469505626_thumb.jpg

post-529-0-40733800-1469505645.jpg

• Like 3

Were seeing both.. got 4 bucks that were forming there g3's by the 1st day or 2 of july, and one that was already to his ears on the 5th. but a few other bucks that we know are 100-105 bucks are barely knobbing there g2 split

Be patient. This is the time of year they grow the most and fastest. Every buck is different. Some are completely finished and tipped out by archery season. Some get killed in September and we all want to cry seeing his big, balled up tips. But from what I've seen, just when I feel like the bucks aren't on time, I'm actually just staring at an inferior buck.

Pulled cards this weekend. One camera went crazy and took like 9500 pictures in 3 days and died. Another had 1900 pictures and we think my brother inlaws new phone encrypted the card and fried it. The other 2 cards we got about 2400 pictures and 5 nice bucks and one that's gunna be a big'n. The growth seems to be spread out tho got a few bucks we know from last year that are behind we guess and some that are about as big already as they were last year but still seem to have alittle left in them. The growth looks rally good tho.