Sign in to follow this  
northAZarcher

1st coues tag! 6A

Drew my first tag for coues deer in 6A! Super excited. Have mulies, antelope, elk experience and now can't wait to chase the grey ghost!

Been doing as much research as I can. It's in November. If anyone would like to offer some behavior information, I would appreciate it. Not looking for your spots. Just tendencies of coues. I know they are territorial. Wondering about watering, feeding, bedding habits.

Thanks for any info you are willing to share!

Thanks for the info. I do appreciate it.

But I'm not looking for everyone's spots. I know what kind of work and time it takes to find these spots. And I am willing to put some boots on the ground and do the same. Just trying to figure out what coues tend to do in November. Do they tend to drink more in the mornings or night? Things like that. Tactics that you use to be successful in November. I have read a few things on here and listened to a few podcasts about coues. Just trying to soak up as much info about them as I can. Thanks

• Like 1

Nov they should still be be in bachelor groups and feeding up for the rut. Find the best food source in the area you intend to hunt.

Like was stated above mostly all the coues I have seen in 6a have been in the canyons or pretty darn close to one.

Like was stated above mostly all the coues I have seen in 6a have been in the canyons or pretty darn close to one.

So in your experience, if you bump a buck does he blow the county or is he still possible to relocate?

Listen to the Jay Scott podcasts on Coues Deer. I think there are about a dozen episodes that are loaded with information on Coues.

• Like 1

His podcasts are awesome. I download them and listen while driving around scouting and out of cell range, looking for areas to apply the topics he discusses.

• Like 1

Fossil creek rd off of the 260 all the way to the power lines that cross the 260 is coues country. Head either way and glass the canyons/bowls near water.

• Like 1

What average joe said there are coues north of stoneman lake rd but not a lot of areas to get up high and glass and not the numbers like the southern portions of the unit

• Like 1

Thanks for all the info on spots. Wasn't looking for it, but honestly appreciate it.

I have listened to Jay Scott's podcasts. That is what got me interested in hunting coues. I will get out this weekend and start my search. Good luck to everyone this year on your adventures.

• Like 1

In november they are heading away from water by first light and heading to their bedding areas. In my experience they water then feed up the nearest east facing slope before bedding toward the top of that slope or crossing over to the northern facing stuff. They will be up again by noon to reposition, feed slightly and possibly hit water again before bedding back down by 1 or 2. They wont show again til 30 minutes before sunset to right at sunset.

Thanks average Joe, that's the info I was looking for! Just trying to figure out where to position myself while glassing at that time of year. I'm normally a archery hunter so most of the time I'm at water or trying to cut them off! Little different strategy this time!

Hey man, I'd say AvgJoe pretty much nailed it on the info you were looking for. Thats very accurate info in my exp. Been huntn that unit since I was 10. Remember, when a lot of people are stuffing there binos in their pack & heading in for lunch or whatever, is when you should have your face in yours. Many o whities have been glassed in the middle of the day, like AJoe said either to reposition, feed, or often to hit water. North facing slopes are frequented IMExp &. Don't shy away from 'staring into the sun' at whatever shaded slopes/cuts etc. If you happen to glass up a 'smaller buck' at any point, pick apart the surrounding stuff. Often being bachelors' they'll be close to each other, & a bigger buck could be stashed out. Good luck man! Hope you throw down on a good one. they're in there.:)