Sign in to follow this  
newazhunter

Didn't get picked for leftover tag...

My buddy and I sent our applications for Unit 29 leftover tag on the Friday before they were being accepted last Monday and didn't get drawn. They were only accepting apps by US mail from what I understand. There were 44 leftover tags and neither of us was drawn. Unit 29 leftover tag hasn't really been too sought after in the past. Is there any way our apps were sent to early on the Friday and wasn't considered? Just in shock that 44 people or more sent their apps in on Friday or Saturday as well.

Nope .... They got your app, it just means that all 44 tags were gone by the time they pulled your app out of the pile. The leftover tag game has changed the last couple years and you best have a second and third choice (third being a hunt with several hundred tags left) if you want to be assured anything.

• Like 2

I just can't believe that many sent their apps on that Friday as well. This has always been a pretty easy tag to get for leftover. I am trying to build up my bonus points for a more coveted hunt in the future, and was just going to get a leftover tag every year.

I didn't get one either! phuckers...

• Like 1

I just can't believe that many sent their apps on that Friday as well. This has always been a pretty easy tag to get for leftover. I am trying to build up my bonus points for a more coveted hunt in the future, and was just going to get a leftover tag every year.

What is not to believe ... The last 3 years The numbers of leftovers have dropped by about 60% from the main draw and the last 2 years there were almost no Leftovers available by Weds of the First come first draw ... No surprise anymore

Few years back you could put In all trophy/December tags knowing you'd be alright with a leftover .. and it was a good way to build points, but last couple years they have gone quick.. I got two buddies did just that thinking they'd get leftovers only to end up tagless..I do think they went much faster then years past, but I could be wrong. Coues seem to be pretty popular all the sudden

What address did you mail it to? If you sent it in the pre-printed envelop it went to the PO box, then had to be picked up and taken out to the office during the day on Monday.

However, if you addressed an envelop to the carefree highway address, it was likely delivered on Saturday and this waiting for the staff when they walked in on Monday morning.

Everybody sends their apps in on Fri.

What address did you mail it to? If you sent it in the pre-printed envelop it went to the PO box, then had to be picked up and taken out to the office during the day on Monday.

However, if you addressed an envelop to the carefree highway address, it was likely delivered on Saturday and this waiting for the staff when they walked in on Monday morning.

According to the nice lady at the carefree office it has to be addressed per the directions ...

Arizona Game & Fish

Att: Draw/First Come

5000 W. Carefree Highway

Phoenix, AZ. 85086

And Mail for Friday and Saturday, is all held at post office and picked up the same time on Monday Morning

NEVER USE THE PRE PRINTED ENVELOPES FOR LEFTOVERS

• Like 2

According to the nice lady at the carefree office it has to be addressed per the directions ...

Arizona Game & Fish

Att: Draw/First Come

5000 W. Carefree Highway

Phoenix, AZ. 85086

And Mail for Friday and Saturday, is all held at post office and picked up the same time on Monday Morning

NEVER USE THE PRE PRINTED ENVELOPES FOR LEFTOVERS

Looks like this is where I screwed up. Imma first timer for leftovers. Lesson learned.

The good news is G&F is working towards an online purchase of these leftovers. Similar to what other states offer.

Basically, leftover permits go on sale at "8am, on Monday morning". So then everyone hops on and tries to snag one.

Definitely more of a 1st come 1st serve system that way.

On a side note, it's obvious that more people are putting in for 3rd-5th choices these days. I think when leftovers were basically a gimme, hunters could procrastinate and pick one up eventually. Naturally they're gonna go faster and faster over time when people who waited too long don't have a tag in their pocket.

STR8Shot is spot on- People playing the bonus point game. Put in for a coveted strip tag or a December tag only, with hopes of a tag, if not, then go to the leftovers. Combine this with lots of hunters doing this and maybe even more hunters than years past applying, means a lot more competition for the leftover tags. The silver lining to your dark cloud is that you have another bonus point to get you to the coveted tags. I still put in for the December tags for first and 2nd choice, but after that, I want to ensure I get to go on a deer rifle hunt, so I pick accordingly. Nothing wrong with playing the bonus point game, just understand the odds have now changed.

• Like 2

Trufletch. Thats exactly what I did. Drew 3rd choice on left over and now have 10 bonus points...................BOB!........PS Remember more people living here now too..