Sign in to follow this  
Dirtbag

46BE Quality

I was extremely lucky and drew this tag with only 25 points. I was wondering what the trophy potential is for this unit? In 2015 three 152 and one 165 rams were taken. What I'm really asking is...should I take first 160 ram I find or is there a decent chance with hard work and luck of finding BC ram......

I do know unit has limited road access and long hikes but I'm fine with that.

Pull the reports from at least 5 years back to get a better idea of what to expect. Any sheep tag is a great sheep tag

• Like 2

I was extremely lucky and drew this tag with only 25 points. I was wondering what the trophy potential is for this unit? In 2015 three 152 and one 165 rams were taken. What I'm really asking is...should I take first 160 ram I find or is there a decent chance with hard work and luck of finding BC ram......

I do know unit has limited road access and long hikes but I'm fine with that.

There are some good Rams in there. You have to take a ram that makes you happy and is a trophy to you.

Pull the reports from at least 5 years back to get a better idea of what to expect. Any sheep tag is a great sheep tag

this

id probably look for a 165 and hope someone doesnt shoot the first 160 that i passed on. we hunted for 11 days before we saw a 160 in 15b west. 162

• Like 1

Very very remote country there with very limited access. Water becomes a huge factor there. I am sure there are some stud Rams in there but finding them can be difficult with how much country needs to be covered. Was in there about 5 years ago. We covered 22 miles in one day. 3am-11pm. A lot of those miles were covered just crossing the flats but it takes a toll on the body day in and day out. You can be anywhere from 4-8 miles from the mountain range depending on where you drive in to. Horses sound like a great option but again they gotta drink too.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone.....Yes I pulled unit harvest reports.....in 1991 (25 yrs ago) a 179 ram was taken in my area..46B used to be one unit but in 2015 they split into west and east because east area wasn't getting hunted much. In looking over harvest reports seems like avg ram from west side is bigger....but they maybe because not too many tag holders hunted east side.

Anyway thanks for all the help.

Greg

Find yourself a class IV ram. Even if he doesn't score big, he'll be an old warrior who has survived to old age in a very harsh environment. IMO, any class IV ram is an exceptional trophy.

I have no experience in the area but from what I've read, access & drinking water is "the" issue. I'd suggest making water cache's on your scouting trips. Depending on a cache could be risky if animals (2 and 4 legged) found your cache and you didn't have sufficient water to make it out. Have a backup plan for failed cache's. Congrats on the tag and good luck on your hunt.

I want to thank everyone who has offered advice on sheep unit.

Of the last 120 rams harvested in 46B....102 were taken in west side and only 18 taken in east side. I think this might because west side has slightly easier access but also more sheep. Largest ram in past 25 yrs from west side scored 177 and from east side scored 179....(Of course these are G&F scores and not official BC scores). With luck I think I might be able to find a BC ram in east side due to lack of hunting pressure......Anyway I'm gonna give it my best effort.

Greg

You wouldn't happen to have a some named David would you? Works nights in machining aerospace?

No, I do have a son but he is only 10.

You wouldn't happen to have a some named David would you? Works nights in machining aerospace?

No, I do have a son but he is only 10.

Guess who's gonna get his sea legs this year hauling gear...

Haha, my buddy at work his dad pulled a tag in the same hunt. Thought you may be him. Good luck. Hoping to go spot some animals and help out