Sign in to follow this  
PelaPapas

Differences in Swarovski "Generations"

Now that I'm looking into getting some Swaro 15s, I'm kinda confused on the difference between all of them.

Can anybody tell me the difference between the generations of them all? Also, What price ranges (used) that I should expect to pay between the models?

Any info is appreciated!

I had to figure this out prior to buying mine. What sold it for me was the shorter size and lighter weight of the new HD's.

IMO you can get older (light green) SLC's for $1400 and newer dark green SLC for $1500. eBay price for these is a lot higher. Finding used HD's is not easy.

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/forums/topic/46702-15x56-slc-hd-review/

• Like 2

This is probably an over simplification, but in addition to minor cosmetic and functionality changes, with each generation the glass tends to get progressively clearer, brighter, etc. But this isn't always the case. Take for example the new 2016 EL line up. The glass didn't change. The only major change was the harness attachment point. Are there two particular generation you are looking at? You might check with the guys at Outdoorsmans or Dave (azelkhunter2). They have all been super helpful in educating me.

• Like 2

Light green swaros- no swarobright coating which is for cleaning purposes. Same glass as the dark green swaros and slightly heavier than dark green. Should pay no more than $1300 for those and normally found for $1200

Dark green swaros - slighlty lighter and have better coatings for less scratches. Should pay no more than $1500 and can be found for $1300

Swaro hd - better glass, better coatings, lighter, smaller, bigger ocular lens (much better than the tiny ocular lens of the old swaros, i hated those). Brand new are $2300 but can be found used for $18-$1900

• Like 3

Ive talked to Swarovski about the Light Green and Dark Green versions They said they are both the same and because of something to do with patents they could not advertise the swarobright coating.

• Like 1

the older I get the dimmer it seems my eyes get the hd swaros are like putting on reading glasses and looking at your phone

• Like 1

Buy once cry once. I own the a newer dark green pair and love them. My buddy has the HDS and there is a difference, but I find the same deer he does. Just don't buy vortex in 15s. Lots of great 10x glass out there but nothing compares to the real deal.

• Like 2

Older light green SLCs don't have Swarodur which is a hardened coating covering all other coatings beneath. Swarobright is merely

a buzzword Swaro came up with for their multi coatings. Swarodur is very desirable as it does protect the coatings that do the work. Swarodur

is on all Swaro glass from 2006 on. Fortunately, those with pre-2006 units can get upgraded to new objective & oculars lenses for $300 (so I've heard).

SLC NEU should go for $1500 in very good condition, pre-2006, $1300.

• Like 1