Sign in to follow this  
teej89

Looking for opinions on where to live in AZ

Hey guys,

So my gf (at the time) and I thought we were moving to Phoenix AZ in january however... i screwed the pooch on that one and had this great idea of proposing, now our move has shifted to after our wedding that's in September(I explained this was during the elk rut, didn't get a good response, almost worse than when I mumbled the words bridezilla on the way home after looking at venues).

However, recently we've determined that we're tired of living in a big city but she wants warm weather 365 and we were reconsidering Phoenix because of it's size. We're both from small towns and we think we'd like to move to a smaller town in AZ but be within 1.5-2hrs of phoenix and also the weather to be warm. When I say small town I mean a population of 2k but she means like 40-75k. So we're looking for places with 40-75k but also warm weather all year round.

Thanks!

• Like 1

You guys should check out Prescott, hour .5 from phoenix and about the same to flagstaff. Slightly cooler weather as well. A lot smaller than phoenix but also has everything you could need. I grew up there and would move back in a heart beat. good hunting as well

Another option is Payson, but it has a lot cooler winters.

• Like 4

So your anniversary is going to be during the archery elk hunts? Doesn't really matter where you live cause life is over.

• Like 23

So your anniversary is going to be during the archery elk hunts? Doesn't really matter where you live cause life is over.

hahaha! Yeah but she loves elk meat so I'm in the clear

You guys should check out Prescott, hour .5 from phoenix and about the same to flagstaff. Slightly cooler weather as well. A lot smaller than phoenix but also has everything you could need. I grew up there and would move back in a heart beat. good hunting as well

I was looking at prescott, it looked really promising but then I looked up the temps and she essentially wants to be able to be outside in shorts and a tee all year round.

That's all I ran in back in High School board shorts and flip-flops. And I did the same got married last year September 26th haha Nuthin like a party in the woods :)

That's all I ran in back in High School board shorts and flip-flops. And I did the same got married last year September 26th haha Nuthin like a party in the woods :)

shoot for real? She loves to swim and so does my lab, they swim together lol so her thing is she wants to be able to swim outside every day of the year.

I was looking at prescott, it looked really promising but then I looked up the temps and she essentially wants to be able to be outside in shorts and a tee all year round.

What climate do you live in now? You won't be outside in Phx in the summer, you'll be inside in the A/C. I live in Tucson and grew up in northern AZ. I'd take a northern AZ winter over a southern AZ summer!

• Like 8

What climate do you live in now? You won't be outside in Phx in the summer, you'll be inside in the A/C. I live in Tucson and grew up in northern AZ. I'd take a northern AZ winter over a southern AZ summer!

we're in ohio and she hates snow/cold weather. I mean if you have a pool are the summers still miserable? We also were thinking we could just take off hiking and camping up north on the weekends in the summers to get away from the heat.

Unless you work outside the summers aren't miserable anyway. Check out Tucson...my wife and I are both from smaller towns and we like it here. Has most city amenities (only thing we really don't have that I'd like are professional sports and major name concerts coming through...but we drive to Phoenix the few times we want that)

Jut my opinion but Tucson has a much better feel than Phoenix and definitely doesn't have the traffic. Generally 5-10 degrees cooler with a nice breeze most of the time too.

• Like 2

It all depends on who you are I guess. I have lived in Tucson now for 15 years and still hate every summer. I love being outside but it is not enjoyable being outside when it is 100+.

Maybe look to the south around Eloy or Casa Grande or to the west like Buckeye. Wickenburg is another option. To the north, there's Anthem. All have weather like Phoenix but fewer people and less traffic. Yet you're close enough to Phoenix to obtain whatever products or services you might need.

Wickenburg, Camp Verde, Cave Creek/Carefree, Superior/Globe, Safford/Thatcher, Benson, Sierra Vista, Wilcox, Oro Valley/Oracle, Prescott Valley/Chino Valley, Sedona, Cottonwood/Clarkdale, Kingman.

All of those are smaller towns, more temperate (but some still get colder) than Phoenix/Tucson, and most within 2+/- hours of a bigger city (Phoenix/Tucson/Flagstaff).

What do you do for a living? That might make a big difference.

• Like 1

Wickenburg, Camp Verde, Cave Creek/Carefree, Superior/Globe, Safford/Thatcher, Benson, Sierra Vista, Wilcox, Oro Valley/Oracle, Prescott Valley/Chino Valley, Sedona, Cottonwood/Clarkdale, Kingman.

All of those are smaller towns, more temperate (but some still get colder) than Phoenix/Tucson, and most within 2+/- hours of a bigger city (Phoenix/Tucson/Flagstaff).

What do you do for a living? That might make a big difference.

I'm a structural engineer, also considering moving out of the office and into the field working for a GC.

Our plan is over my birthday this january to fly to phoenix and we were going to pick a couple towns we like and check them all out. I really want to see what the weather is like in the northern towns, I have a feeling I'm not gonig to be a fan of the 100+ temps in the summer, i know my lab will hate it less we have a pool for him.