Sign in to follow this  
teej89

Looking for opinions on where to live in AZ

Wickenburg, Camp Verde, Cave Creek/Carefree, Superior/Globe, Safford/Thatcher, Benson, Sierra Vista, Wilcox, Oro Valley/Oracle, Prescott Valley/Chino Valley, Sedona, Cottonwood/Clarkdale, Kingman.

All of those are smaller towns, more temperate (but some still get colder) than Phoenix/Tucson, and most within 2+/- hours of a bigger city (Phoenix/Tucson/Flagstaff).

What do you do for a living? That might make a big difference.

I really like the prescott area and oro valley looks promising. I think I'll really enjoy prescott as long as I can convince her as well. Probably best she sees it in january to see what the temps are like and if she hates it and loves phoenix I think we'll come back in july and do the same see what phoenix is like and then see what prescott is like.

• Like 1

So your anniversary is going to be during the archery elk hunts? Doesn't really matter where you live cause life is over.

hahaha! Yeah but she loves elk meat so I'm in the clear

that's her dating opinion. Miss a wedding anniversary because your hunting and see what happens .
  • Like 2

I hear Palm Springs is nice.

• Like 1

Lots of places you can go but here is the reality ...

Lower plateau (south half of state) 2-3 months Hot (at least a month really hot).... 1 - 2 months (2-4 in the far south) pretty dang cold if you want to swim you will want a heated pool.

Upper Plateau (North Half of state) 3 - 4 months pretty dang cold varied amounts of snow depending on location. The rest of the year moderate heat with maybe with 1 - 2 months in the 90's to low 100's.

Everywhere in AZ can freeze at some point so it depends on you definition of warm. Move to a small town where you like the hunting options, there are plenty to choose from I would just avoid the southern border towns.

wickenburg is a nice area - almost as hot as phx - hunting in your back yard for javelina - deer - predators etc.

close to lakes and fishing - its the back way to elk country thru prescott -

not to far from Phx to get all the city life needed but out just far enough to enjoy country life style

• Like 1

move to pinetop, have your kid go to Blue Ridge high school.

White Mountains have it all.......and you can't beat the rural access to game and getting outdoors!!!

Here in Snowflake we don't get as much snow, sun usually melts it off by noon, some rare occasions it will stick around for a couple of days.

There are sometimes some stretches where the temps are freezing.....great place for kids to grow up!!!

But not one of these small towns up here can claim the 450000 population, there isn't a shopping mall but Sportsmans is a new addition to the mountain.

as far as phx - pick the side otf town you'll be exiting the most - do not buy west side if you want to go hunting / fishing in eastern az etc - can / will add 1-2 hrs commute just to get thru PHX. not kidding

• Like 3

Pick a cheap hotel near downtown Phoenix in July... you'll experience all you need to make an educated decision in one day. Ed F

Pick a cheap hotel near downtown Phoenix in July... you'll experience all you need to make an educated decision in one day. Ed F

Except maybe this one.....you might learn more than you really want.....or maybe not!!!

Second man slain at Phoenix Knights Inn in 24 hours

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/phoenix-breaking/2016/08/22/second-man-slain-phoenix-knights-inn-24-hours/89099058/

Pretty much nowhere besides Phoenix metro area is gonna stay warm all year within 2 hours of there. Your best options are gonna be prescott, safford/thatcher, Payson is nice but does get snow occasionally and is pretty expensive to live in. Also Payson only has about 10-15k people I think. Last thing you wanna do is move to Tucson (or anywhere south of there). Also forget superior and globe. You'll be moving again in no time if you move there. Of the two I would choose that have good weather most of the year would be Payson and prescott.

• Like 1

Pahrump. Small town, hot, close to buffets and hookers.

Say hi to Art Bell.

• Like 1

I like gilbert az. Small town feel in certain areas. I live and work within a mile of each other so seldom leave here. There are some farms and dairys nearby and only 30-45 minutes from downtown phoenix and can be hunting deer and elk in an hour -hour 15.

• Like 1