Sign in to follow this  
teej89

Looking for opinions on where to live in AZ

Stay out of Tucson. There is a good reason why this blowhole of a city made the top 10 worst cities, for employment, and economic growth.

And you're under martial law.
only south of I-10. I'm between benson and Tucson. Work in Tucson, 45 min or so drive to work with milder weather and neighbors are far away. Best part is coming home. My 15 year goal is to have another chunk of property up north. East AZ or western NM. Pry more money to be had near the Phoenix area but depending on what you do it's had everywhere. I do ok in Tucson.

I used to do well being self employed, before the recession, and a wife that bailed. But that's another story.

I would move back to Montana if I could. Generous hunting seasons. World class Trout fishing. White knuckle driving on icy winter roads.

You guys should check out Prescott, hour .5 from phoenix and about the same to flagstaff. Slightly cooler weather as well. A lot smaller than phoenix but also has everything you could need. I grew up there and would move back in a heart beat. good hunting as well

Another option is Payson, but it has a lot cooler winters.

I was looking at prescott, it looked really promising but then I looked up the temps and she essentially wants to be able to be outside in shorts and a tee all year round.
What climate do you live in now? You won't be outside in Phx in the summer, you'll be inside in the A/C. I live in Tucson and grew up in northern AZ. I'd take a northern AZ winter over a southern AZ summer!

we're in ohio and she hates snow/cold weather. I mean if you have a pool are the summers still miserable? We also were thinking we could just take off hiking and camping up north on the weekends in the summers to get away from the heat.

If you do Phoenix make it n.phx I'm in norterra and enjoy being very close to getting the Heck outta dodge.. Or try desert hills, anthem areas. Saves you an hour driving across town to start heading up north. If it were me I would just head to payson, Prescott or Flag but thats me.

Good luck and what does my Ohio family Say?? GO BUCKS

When you consider Arizona's geography, consider that the top 1/4 of the State is dissected from the rest of the State by the Grande Canyon and the BIg Res. That means Phoenix is dab smack in the middle of the lower 3/4 of the state which makes it about two hours from anywhere.

I am from Montana and I moved here several years ago. Spent almost 2 years in New River (20 minutes north of Phoenix) and the heat made me miserable. I like the Prescott area, but found that Chino Valley 20 minutes north of Prescott to be a better value and even further from mobs of people and closer to elk.

One problem - nowhere to swim. Lakes around Prescott do not allow swimming or they would fill up with Phoenix people in the summer. Take a drive along Cottonwood creek out of Sedona in the month of July and you will see what I mean. Further north has swimmable lakes, but temps get much cooler up there.

I think Cottonwood is beginning to be a happening place.

not to far from elk, mule deer, coues, and work.

they have a few amenities as well.

We chatted last night and looked up housing and average temperatures and pictures of different places and we're thinking the prescott valley area (prescott, prescott valley, chino...) as long as we can find decent jobs there. We also chatted that we agree it's not about the money but being happy where we live, living in a city will give us the best wages but if we're miserable because we're constantly cooped up or if we move outside the city and commute in we'll be miserable too. I have a 20min commute right now(8min not in rush hour) and I get extremely annoyed when there's traffic and i'm doing 10MPH the whole way home.

We also agreed it'd be better to have 3 months of semi cold weather where we can still be outside compared to 3 months of terribly hot weather where, from what it sounds like, is going to be intolerable to be outside hiking or running, etc....

thanks for your input guys!

I like Yuma and I love the Colorado River. Plenty of places to swim around here. My lab does just fine here but he was born here, like me. Its nice to be less than 3 hours drive to the salt water also. We can be at the Sea of Cortez in about 90 minutes and the Pacific Ocean in 2:45. Metro Phoenix is the same distance the other way. All that said if I could find a job in the White Mountains making what I do now I would start packing yesterday.

If you are planning on having kids do your research on schools.

Just do it regardless LOL. Does anyone really plan on it? It pretty much just happens unless you take extensive measures to avoid it. Kids are awesome though, can't even put it into words..

• Like 1

I like Yuma and I love the Colorado River. Plenty of places to swim around here. My lab does just fine here but he was born here, like me. Its nice to be less than 3 hours drive to the salt water also. We can be at the Sea of Cortez in about 90 minutes and the Pacific Ocean in 2:45. Metro Phoenix is the same distance the other way. All that said if I could find a job in the White Mountains making what I do now I would start packing yesterday.

There is a reason he calls himself heat!

• Like 1