Favorite Deer Gun

What is your favorite deer gun in Arizona  

75 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite deer gun in Arizona

• .25-06
    • .300 win mag
    • 7mm (of any kind)
    • Other

.270 its a little more or a little less then every thing else less always on the mark.

If its think I will take my win 30 30 anytime. Short slow and not easly distracted from the target bya few twigs. not to mention the feel is like no Weapon I have ever carried.

I've been using a win model 70 in 300 mag for the last couple years. Great rifle, but I may have a new favorite, Im picking up a SAKO TIKKA in 270 and putting a Leupold VX III 4.5-14x40 on top. No tags in AZ. this year but Im heading to NM for the Nov 10-14 hunt to see what the TIKKA can do.

Well I will have to agree on the .270, but I like a little flatter tragectory. My favorite deer cartridge is a .270 Weatherby Magnum. My reloads shoot a 130 grain bullet over 3,500 FPS out the muzzle. Dead on @ 300 yards, 8-9 inches low @ 400, and 20-21 inches low at 500. Best of all it will knock a coues deer off its feet and it'll be dead before it hits the ground!

tam. them kinda rifles are for folks that can't sneak. i shoot my ol' model 70 over my shoulder backwards and use a mirror to look at the sights. anyway at anything less than 300 yards. my oldest son bought a tikka t3 in 270wsm. it pretty much equals the weatherby in a lot lighter rifle. we loaded some 130's for it at around 3400 fps. real impressive balistics. he did have to put a simms pad on it though. kick was rough. he's gonna try in out in a couple weeks in wyoming on a muley. there so many hotrod rifles these day that i don't know how a guy can make up his mind on what to shoot. that is if he ain't set in his ways. Lark.

Hey Lark, I try and save the sneaking for my archery hunts. When I'm out with my rifle I'm usually looking for a trophy. If I see a trophy coues at 400-500 yards I want him dead, I don't want to loose a good buck cuz my sneaking sucked. The funny thing is that most of my shots have been under 200. I did kill a big bodied mule deer in New Mexico a few years ago at 380 and since he was on the move there wasn't much time to get any closer. That gun sure put a hurt on him. Your right about the .270wsm's they look pretty impressive! I've got a buddy that's looking at getting one.

seems the older i get, the farther i have to shoot. don't know if i can't sneak as good or if i'm just too lazy to get any closer. seems like the size o' the bucks i've been shootin' are shrinkin' too. must be genetics. no way i'd lower my standards. o' course they were never very high anyway. these new shoulder cannons that they make are interesting. until you pick one up. they're ridiculous heavy. i was thinking seriously about a warbird a couple years ago. after you put a huge zeiss on it, it weighed about a ton. my ol' winchester tops out a little over 10 lbs with a full magazine. i ain't goin' any heavier. but dang, the ballistics of those huge .30's are simply amazin'. i'm surprised this thread didn't cause more debate. everyone always thinks that whatever gun they have is the best and will argue worse than ford/chevy debaters. Lark.

I have bounced several calibers around over the last few years, .243,30-06,.308. 22-250 and I have finally settled in on one that I consider to be the best all-around for me. I bought a Ruger .300 win mag while in Sprigerville in 2001 and it has performed flawlessly since, I've harvested 2 coues 1 bull and an antelope with it not to mention countless yotes and a couple of exploding rabbits. It has become one of those rare pieces of equiptment that could never be replaced for the accuracy or just the shear confidence I have when I settle in behind it and pick up my intended target through the old vari-x III.

I definitely like the 300 because of the range that sucker has! The last day of my dad's hunthe shot one at 650 yards! I don't know about you guys, but if you can shoot that far and still be accurate, i don't know why you'd want another gun! ( I'm a lil' biased too HJAHAHAHAHAHA)

As others have said the 300 win mag is one of the best guns for a multitude of game, an for different reasons it too is my choice.

It is enough gun for any game in North America and has arguably one of the widest array of "off the shelf" ammunition and bullets for reloading to support you on any hunt you take.

If one had a different gun for every different animal climate and terrain, you would have to own quite a few guns. Using fewer guns, and adjusting to variable conditions with different loads is a pretty good alternative for most folks. Another advantage is you get to know the firearm better when you don't switch off so much.

This topic was On Favorite Deer Rifles, so I will stick with the 300 Win Mag.

I must agree the 300's are outstanding whitetail guns. I have taken my last 3 coues with my 300 Ultra Mag. But we must all remember that just cause the gun can shoot 400+ yards does not mean the hunter can. I regularly practice shooting from 50yds all the way out to 500yds and I know where that bullet is going at each range. As for knockdown power I killed my elk last year at 522yds. I used a 180gr scirocco and the bullet broke the left shoulder went through both lungs and broke the opposite shoulder he only went 10 steps before falling. Caliber size is fun to talk about but a man that shoots his rifle like an extension of his arm is deadlier than a guy with a big magnum that does not know his gun......................my .02 cent

Eric

It is amazing what animals, and people for that matter, can do. I have seen several deer run after having both of their shoulders broke.

I think sinew, muscle and adrenalin keep them moving for a period

Blah, blah, blah.

REAL MEN SHOOT BOWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Though I do love my .243. I would shoot my .300 weatherby but it kicks to much and hurts my shoulder.

Panzee out,

recurveman