Favorite Deer Gun

What is your favorite deer gun in Arizona  

75 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite deer gun in Arizona

• .25-06
    • .300 win mag
    • 7mm (of any kind)
    • Other

i shoot a ruger m77 featherweight .270 with a VXII on it. i also shoot 100 grn hornady handloads i havent shot anything with them yet, but i bet they are coues poison at 3400 fps. ill get to test them this year.

I shoot a .300 Weatherby in Mark V Synthetic. There are too many guns to have only one favorite. I use to use a .270 Win Model 70, it was a good gun, I still have it and use it sometimes for coyotes and jackrabbits. It just had a short barrel and a wood stock. I wanted a longer barrel and a synthetic stock. I sure would like to have anothe lightweight coues gun one day in the future though too. Maybe a Tikka T-3 Lightweight or Small Winchester 70 in .270 WSM or .300 WSM with another plastic stock. For now the Weatherby shoots better than I do and that is all anyone can ask for from a gun.

Bret M.

Edited by bullwidgeon

I'll be using a Tikka T3 synthetic in .270 this on coues hunt. Shoots far better than I do. I've been practicing with the BurrisPlex reticle and so far the trajectories line up with 130 grain silvertips out to 400yds.

sczoner...

my son gets his rig this w/e...Tikka .25-06 w/ Burris 3x9. How do you like yours? I shoot rem mtn rifle .25-06 w/ Zeiss 2.2 x 10. Coues, ropetails and antelope to 400 yds, elk in Co. 75 yds.

The Tikka is a sweet shooting gun and I like the burris scope. I got the scope on a deal that included a spotting scope.

The scope isn't as good in low light as my Leica or Swaro, but I like the reticle.

I have no complaints on the rifle. It seems to like any ammo I've put through it. It is light and shoulders nice for me. I really like the integrated base and the fact that it comes with rings makes it a great bargain.

I've been told that the barrels are mfg on the same line as the Sakos. They just pull it off and it either goes on a SAKO or a Tikka. Not sure if this is true, but the accuracy lends credibility to this notion.

Hope your son enjoys it. What and where are you hunting this year?

sczoner

I have shot more Coues deer (and more deer of all kinds) with a .270 than with anything else. I have five of them. However, I have hunted for a couple of years with a Weatherby .280 in the light weight rifle and it does everything my .270s do and weighs about 1 1/2 pounds less with scope, sling and a magazine full of ammunition. I actually tried to order this rilfe in .270 when it came out, but the .280 was all the jobber had and I decided to try it. The .270 and .280 are ballistic twins, but if you handload, there are a lot more .28 caliber bullets availabe than there are .27 (although the gap is closing).

My new favorite for Coues is a light weight custom rilfe built on a Mexican Mauser action with a Rimrock stock, chambered in .257 Ackley Improved. It will do everything that a .25-06 will do, with less powder and less recoil. It is an accurate, light rifle that has accounted for two antelope, two Coues and one mulie in the last three seasons.

I hope the day never comes that I have to hunt with just one rifle...

I got the scope on a deal that included a spotting scope.

...exactly what he got too. Found that deal noodlin on the AZOD boards. How bout the rings that came w/ the gun...the burris fit in them ok? I'll know tomorrow when I start putting the rig together.

Hope your son enjoys it. What and where are you hunting this year?

We're non-res...so it's Cali till Dec. 36B. Then Javarats on Jan 01. w/ stix and strings

The rings fit fine for me

Where in Cali do you hunt. I've got a buddy works up north.

I grew up in So Cal, but never hunted out there.

Where in Cali do you hunt

We're in San Diego...hunt anywhere we can. This w/e D9, outside Bakersfield. You know Bakersfield, that's the town Yuma makes fun of!

hey guys im new to the board and i wanted to put my two cents in...ive got to say the 30-06 is my favorite just because of the veriety of bullet weights and styles...seems like you can find a bullet variation good for just about any game

(im wondering why the didnt add a slot for sutch a popular caliber?) :blink:

L_2_H

Edited by live_2_hunt

i think i agree with live2hunt i like my 30-06 (ruger m77 mkII all weather) it puts em where i point em...i have a friend that shoots a winchester m70 in .270 wsm...seems to be an awsome shooting rifle...kind of expensive to shoot though.

i guess its all in what youre comfortable shooting and what your wallet will allow you to shoot.....what ever youre shooting this season i hope it shoots streight and connects with a monster buck

good luck everyone

S_S

To kill a 120 lb deer at best (coues deer is what were are talking about right), to my knowlegde there is no flatter or faster shooting gun than a 243.

Get some hot reloads and you're looking at less than 30 inches of drop at 500 yds and probally over 1000 pds of energy.

Go ahead and look it up the 300 wsm or 300 mags or 3006 don't even come close, knock down power is a differnt story. But when you can pull the trigger and watch you bullet hit the target because the kick is not so hard it will be easier to place the second shot.

Redman

There are many rounds that are flatter shooting than the .243. It is nice and flat but I have a 300 weatherby that is flatter. The 7MMSTW is flatter too.

Basically you can lump most of the rounds in the same category. .270, 30-06, 308, .243, 25-06, ect. Any of your high power rounds are all about the same as far as trajectory. They will all drop about the same. Except for a few that are flatter. Not a ton flatter but they are flatter shooting.

He is another thing to consider. I own a 300 weatherby and a .243. I choose to hunt with the .243 for couse. Not because it is flatter shooting but it is lighter to carry and is more accurate to shoot. Most of the "magnums" do shoot flatter but you pay the price. They kick more and quite often they don't shoot as accurate. If I could get my 300 to shoot as good as my .243 I would shoot that instead.

If you want to look at all the ballistics go to the ammo sites (ie, remmington, federal and winchester) They have some cool stuff where you can compare ammo of different calibers. You will see that the .243 is not even close to the flattest shooting round. Look at the .338 weatherby. Then you will see a flat shooting round. But I'm pretty sure I'm not man enough to pull the trigger. Well at I doubt I would do it twice.

Later,

recurveman