Sign in to follow this  
TVickers

Hunting in Unit 36B

I pulled a 36B tag in Nov. and It's the first time I've been there. It was my 5th choice. I've always been a Unit 22 hunter. Does anybody have any sudgestions where to start. I've read what AZGFD had to say but I already know to look in the mountain ranges. I'm looking for a more specific area. I'm taking horses in, so I'm looking to get away from all the road hunters. Thanks in advance for any info... I know some great areas in 22 for anybody interested, here is my 22 buck from 3 yrs ago...

post-2075-1188872317_thumb.jpg

No disrespect, but E scouters are not too often responded to. We all have worked very hard to find our honey holes and that is what everyone will suggest. Take what AZGFD has suggested and use it! there is plenty of room in 36b to get away from everybody, just takes some scouting to find out where to go.

good luck!

With horses, you could pack into the Pajarita Wilderness and leave most everyone behind. Good luck on your hunt. Welcome, and congrats on your 22 buck you pictured.

Doug~RR

I second that.If I had horses,that is where I would start.No motor vehicles---you and four legs can really get away!! Besides in all honesty there are deer everywhere down there. You should be researching where they go after the pressure of all the oct crowd sets in. That is how I shot my biggest yet. Hint-----Not in the mountains-----Good luck.

No disrespect, but E scouters are not too often responded to. We all have worked very hard to find our honey holes and that is what everyone will suggest. Take what AZGFD has suggested and use it! there is plenty of room in 36b to get away from everybody, just takes some scouting to find out where to go.

good luck!

Thanks for the advise...This is the first post I've ever placed on a hunting web site, lesson learned. I'm heading down Saturday to start looking.

I second that.If I had horses,that is where I would start.No motor vehicles---you and four legs can really get away!! Besides in all honesty there are deer everywhere down there. You should be researching where they go after the pressure of all the oct crowd sets in. That is how I shot my biggest yet. Hint-----Not in the mountains-----Good luck.

Thank You, I'll be heading down there Saturday. I will be sporting my new Coueswhitetail.com sticker on my truck...

i'd buy a forest service map and find an area that doesn't have any roads going into it. fyi, a mule is a much better option in those mountains than any horse would ever be.

Start off going uphill, it will be tough but you can do it, especially with use of 4 legged friends. Once you are starting downhill, STOP! Sit on your ^$$ and glass. GOOD LUCK.

Good luck man and post some pics.I would love to help you more,unfortunately for you I drew the same tag and am after a 110to115 class typical that my buddy from utah missed last year!

Used to be a great unit to hunt deer. I've hunted 36B for ~20 years. For the last 5 to 7 years we've seen a big problem with illegals. We do the backpack thing, middle of no where only to find a bunch of trash, human foot trails and the effect that illegal over crowding has...fewer deer and even fewer quality deer. Scout 36B just like you would any other unit except be mindful that it is well travelled by drug runners, coyotes, bandits and illegals looking for work.

Used to be a great unit to hunt deer. I've hunted 36B for ~20 years. For the last 5 to 7 years we've seen a big problem with illegals. We do the backpack thing, middle of no where only to find a bunch of trash, human foot trails and the effect that illegal over crowding has...fewer deer and even fewer quality deer. Scout 36B just like you would any other unit except be mindful that it is well travelled by drug runners, coyotes, bandits and illegals looking for work.

Thanks, I was down there last weekend and found some nice bucks 100+ and I did see a lot of illegal activity. Makes me worried about my camp site. I'm going to stay as far north in the unit as possible. Let's hope for the best...

By the sounds of it you should probably stay in a motel. :o

Either that or when you leave camp leave and extra case of water out and some chips so they don not break into your

tent/trailor and steal it. :angry:

Don't worry too much about the illegals ICGreayghost! Odds are that you won't be bothered.... I hunt down that way most years of late, and I've not had any personal run-ins (not to say they don't happen..). Sounds like you're doing your homework. If you've already scouted and found some nice bucks, then you're WAY ahead of the average Joe out there.

Maybe when Younghunter returns from his elk hunt he'll chime-in.

Good luck! My boys and I will be in 'A' this year!

S.

:)

Stanley I hunt in 36a all the time. If you see a silver chevy z71 that's me. Stop and say HI!

Lee

Isn't this the same color and type of truck the drug smugglers use. :lol:

Bob