People with addictive problems don't think they have a problem. This is called denial. These people can always look around and find someone or something worse than what they themselves are doing. They can rationalize (rational lies) all their bad and selfish behavior. And when things go wrong for them, they never look at themselves, but instead blame their problems on someone else.

I use attractants and cameras like everyone else, yet when the time comes when the powers that be make it illegal to use bait and cameras, I will not blame my fellow hunters or the game dept. I will blame myself for my part in it.

So is there something wrong with using this stuff? Nope, it's legal! And killing a trophy Coues buck is an extremely difficult task. That's why we do these things - to help us get some kind of edge, and the success stats are revealing this.

Good job of bringing up this topic, Doug. Lots of replies. Lots of rationalizing. I like the way we are "intrepeting" rule #7.

Really guys, a camera isn't helping us locate game? Then why use it? I know seeing a pic of a buck doesn't mean I'm gonna kill it. Boy, do I know that! But I can sure sit in a spot awith a lot more patience knowing that Mr. Big pays a visit every once in a while.

Keep the rationalizations coming. Some of em are funnier that Tony - and that's pretty dang funny!

Mike

So is there something wrong with using this stuff? Nope, it's legal! And killing a trophy Coues buck is an extremely difficult task. That's why we do these things - to help us get some kind of edge, and the success stats are revealing this.

Man, more common sense.

Now you know why I ground sluice quail and shoot all my doves when they are bunched up in a mesquite tree. Them dang things are just too hard to hit when they're flying, and shotgun ammo is way to expensive now! Same with those goofy ducks. What's so neat about shooting them on the water is you get a really, really good idea of where the shot is going so you can compensate on the next bunch.

I mean who cares how I kill 'em? As long as I don't kill more than my limit, it's my personal choice. Bring 'em on.

I sure hope those bad dudes at G&F never make this stuff illegal. :( -TONY

Man, more common sense.

Now you know why I ground sluice quail and shoot all my doves when they are bunched up in a mesquite tree. Them dang things are just too hard to hit when they're flying, and shotgun ammo is way to expensive now! Same with those goofy ducks. What's so neat about shooting them on the water is you get a really, really good idea of where the shot is going so you can compensate on the next bunch.

I mean who cares how I kill 'em? As long as I don't kill more than my limit, it's my personal choice. Bring 'em on.

I sure hope those bad dudes at G&F never make this stuff illegal. :( -TONY

They can fly???????????? :blink: I like to see how many I get with one shot. Now that's a challenge. :D

What do you think of these cameras? Sends the images to a base unit miles away!

http://www.buckeyecams.com/

You could have several set up and watch them from your camp or another tank. Radio in a hunter and have him on the animal within a few minutes. Not much of a hunt here, and you know somebody will be using these in the near future.

Tony,

I have tryed shooting quail on the ground but they keep changing directions.

I have trouble seeing in low light and can't see them in the roost.

I only shoot at quail flying with my bow in good light.

Good exercise, you can pull the bow 50 times then let down cause you couldn't get the shot off.

My contribution to less impact on the resourse.

Some day I will collect that throphy :)

Hey dave, I'm 1 up on you. I have gotten 1 quail with my bow, but then, it was on the ground, so I guess it doesn't count.

Back, to Doug's thread on a serious note....."By the use of electronic devices for attracting, locating, or pursuing game or guiding the hunter to such game, or by the use of a bow or arrow to which any electronic device is attached."

According to this, all of the bears called in with an electronic call do not qualify for P&Y.

No radios, actually the bear and lion guys cant have radio collars on their dogs.

Personally, I dont feel that P&Y should be setting "ethics' for hunters. Those are set if you want to put yer trophy in the record book.

Everyone has their own personal ethics and goes by them.

Some people wont shoot more than 300 yards at an animal and some have no problem shooting 700 yards. that is their personal ethics.

If a hunter wants to use a trail cam, electronic call, a chute plane, or whatever and, it is legal, then let them do it and leave them alone.

were does it stop ? :blink:

$1000 range finders,

$2000 glass,

$1500 rifles,

$40,000 trucks

$12,000 rinos

$30,000 toy hauler

$500 new camo

$2500 summer scouting

" 100" coues buck on wall "

:blink: PRICELESS ;)

When are people going to learn that "Ethics" are different for each individual and asking questions like this does nothing but stir the pot and divide us. We already have rifle hunters vs. archery hunters. Pretty soon we're going to have the trail camera vs. the non trail camera.??? None of this helps our sport.

When are people going to learn that "Ethics" are different for each individual and asking questions like this does nothing but stir the pot and divide us. We already have rifle hunters vs. archery hunters. Pretty soon we're going to have the trail camera vs. the non trail camera.??? None of this helps our sport.

Not quite. Ethics also exist as a code of conduct for specific professions, sports, etc. etc. For example, most hunters seem to agree that killing an animal as quickly and humanely as possible is the ethical thing to do, and they would severely chastise one of their peers who INTENTIONALLY goes against that ethical standard, even though it isn't illegal, per se.

Also, there is quite a difference between doing or not doing something on an ethical basis compared to making a personal choice because of likes, limitations of ability, etc. For example, one guy doesn't have the ability to confidently shoot beyond 200 yards, so he limits himself to that ability. It has nothing to do with "personal" ethics.

I don't "like" hunting from a treestand for hours on end. That choice has nothing to do with "personal" ethics.

In contrast, MANY states have already determined an ethical conduct when it comes to baiting animals, just as the USFWS has done such in regards to migratory birds. Thus, baiting deer, bears, etc. is already illegal in those states, and the baiting of birds is already illegal in the entire country. And just like baiting bears is now illegal here in AZ, the ban on the baiting of deer will be coming to theater near you shortly. When that happens, from all appearances of many of the pix posted here, trail cams will be somewhat useless. -TONY

pretty much all ethics are is your opinion. if a sportsman group has a code of ethics, then that is the opinion of that group. or at least the guys that started it. once again, legal=ethical. don't ever try to legislate or define ethics. do you think "ANY" anti hunter thinks hunting is "ETHICAL"? heck no they don't. same guys probly think abortion is and capital punishment ain't, too. don't blur the issue. if it's legal, it's ethical. it's like trying to argue religion. believe what you want to believe and live that way. Lark.

were does it stop ? :blink:

It stops when the MAJORITY tips the balance beam and decides any particular practice or equipment has become a detriment. When that happens legal=ethical changes to unethical=illegal -- a process that has been ongoing ever since the first hunting regulations began taking shape early in the last century. Sometimes that process is self-regulatory -- i.e. those involved voluntarily decide to police themselves. At other times, the process takes place when the general populace decides to put a stop to a legal but questionable practice or equipment item.

No doubt members here can readily make an extensive list of such changes that have occurred under both methods. And they can likely make a list of others where the balance beam has begun to lean from ethical to unethical. -TONY

Nice debate all...... Thanks for keeping it clean and 'un' personal. ;) Good job on yanking the dog's chain Doug..... :lol:

Seriously though; I'm just a Hack trying to enjoy as much time in the outdoors as possible while at the same time trying to spend as much time as I can with my family. Trail cams??????? WAY too much effort for what I'm after. I find what I'm after each and every season; Outdoors, Family, Peace, Memories, Life, Love, etc.... No trail cam is going to get me those things. :)

S.

PS: If anyone has a trail cam set-up in NM34 for my boy's Junior elk tag in a few weeks, I'll pay good money!!!!! :P

I find what I'm after each and every season; Outdoors, Family, Peace, Memories, Life, Love, etc.... No trail cam is going to get me those things. :)

And no measuring tape necessary to confirm their existence! ;) -TONY

QUOTE(stanley @ Sep 6 2007, 12:36 PM)

I find what I'm after each and every season; Outdoors, Family, Peace, Memories, Life, Love, etc.... No trail cam is going to get me those things.

Actually trail cameras do contribute much to what I'm after each season. The trail cameras give me just one more reason to get away from Phoenix and enjoy the outdoors. I often bring my family with me and make a camping trip out of it and I cherish the memories and enjoy the peace I get in the outdoors. The pictures they take are just that ,PICTURES. They don't fill my tag for me. I actually have camera in a unit that I don't hunt in.

My favorite big game animal is the coues deer. I hunt them all I can. I use a rifle, a bow, german glass mounted on a tripod, spotting scope, laser rangefinder, maps printed from satellite imagery, and the dreaded trail camera.

If you want to get naked and chase them with a spear go ahead. You do it your way and I'll do it mine.

Keven