Sign in to follow this  
lancetkenyon

I Definitely Have A Sickness

So, squirrel season opens up in about a week and a half......so of course I need a new rifle.....

20160920_170112_zpsst2qlc3k.jpg

20160920_170120_zpsb7kt6cu4.jpg

Threaded for suppressor or brake

20160920_170130_zpsaozdsanm.jpg

20160920_170144_zpsynrye4e7.jpg

20160920_170152_zpsh7xrlsz5.jpg

Now I just need to figure out what scope to put on it......S&B? Kahles? Steiner? SWFA? Vortex Razor? With the integrated Picatinny rail, it would be easy to swap one of my high dollar scopes on and off of it.

20160920_170200_zpsmlsm1bly.jpg

I actually am leaning towards this one though. SFP, but not sure I would need a FFP for a .22LR. http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-3-15x42-Tactical-Rifle-Scope-P98738.aspx

• Like 6

In 4 months I hope to have that sickness!! Everything will be paid for and I can start repaying people who've helped and have some toys! I bedded my $50 Mossberg (at the time) and it'll hit a beer can at 100 yards but a better gun is always welcome! I'd buy the the night force for it. 5x25 lol

• Like 1

Taylor and I talked about scopes, and she decided we should go light weight over tactical features. I went down today and looked at 10-12 different scopes. Fromy 2-7x33 to 2.5-10x44, 3-12x42, and the old standard 3-9x40.

Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x42

Vortex Diamondback HP 2-8x32

Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10x44

Leupold VX-2 3-9x33 & 3-9x40

Leupold Mark AR Mod 3-9x40

Leupold VX3i 3.5-10x40

Nikon M-223 3-12x42

Nikon Prostaff 5 2.5-10x42

Sig Sauer Whisky3 3-9x40

Zeiss Terra 3-9x40

A couple other ones too.

I was looking for clarity at close distance, as well as 100+ yards. There were only 2 I found that could focus on an object as close as 30'. I was also quite a bit disappointed in optical clarity in the biggest name of the brands I tried in the $250-500 price range.

The only 2 scopes that could focus close enough for my criteria on their lowest setting was:

Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x42

Zeiss Terra 3-9x40

the Zeiss got the nod for better optical clarity, and what seemed to me by feel, lighter weight. 14.8oz vs. 18oz.

I have come to realize that buying top tier optics has really spoiled my taste in moderately priced scopes. The Zeiss was, by far, the best optically in the bunch. The list price is $399. It was on clearance for $299. When I got to the register, I got an additional 20% off, so I got it for $240. That made it the best optically clear scope, and the cheapest too. I can't wait to get out and shoot this new rifle this weekend. I will be using the good old cheap Remington HP, so accuracy will be what it is. Might as well use my hunting rounds to start with. I wonder if I could pull the lead bullet and seat some 40gr. Berger or V-max in there....

20160921_173914_zpsoeazp95d.jpg

That is funny, my wife and kids were out of town a month or so back, my suppressor was coming, and in so I decided I needed a new gun to shoot while they were gone.

So I bought the same gun, it sure is a sweet rig,

I always justify myself saying it could be a lot worse, I could be spending money on a lot worse things, just ask trphyhntr.

• Like 2

That is a beauty!

That is funny, my wife and kids were out of town a month or so back, my suppressor was coming, and in so I decided I needed a new gun to shoot while they were gone.

So I bought the same gun, it sure is a sweet rig,

I always justify myself saying it could be a lot worse, I could be spending money on a lot worse things, just ask trphyhntr.

So help a brother out. How does it shoot? I can't get to the range until this weekend.