AZkiller

Lost bull

Also goes to show you a bad shot with a bow doesn't always kill an elk. Many survive fine, if not for some pain. Bullets fail. Muzzle loader slugs fail. Arrows fail. Spears fail.

• Like 4

I don't know of any long time archery hunters that have NEVER missed or NEVER made a bad shot. It happens even to the best and very careful archer. Archers have been doing their best to kill animals, but sometimes merely wounding them, for thousands of years... Strive for the best ethical shot, if something goes wrong, learn and put in the effort to fix the mistake and try and do better the next time... Gun powder hunters are not immune to buck fever or mishaps either the last time I checked.

• Like 5

Pop Quiz!!! What takes down an elk best. 340grn arrow with a mechanical? 340 grn arrow with a muzzy? Or a 340grn slug of lead from a muzzy?? Hmmm.... I wonder.....

I want to see pic of your horns? To see what everyone was shooting at.
  • Like 1

Shot 3 times??

Was he blind or deaf? He should have been more aware of his surroundings!!

Good thing he wasn't black or we'd have another riot on our hands.

• Like 2

Shot 3 times??

Was he blind or deaf? He should have been more aware of his surroundings!!

Good thing he wasn't black or we'd have another riot on our hands.
You would think he would have hid out somewhere.

Small population of elk in that unit..that's why guys are shooting at the same bulls. I know a few guys who have shots bulls in there that had old broad heads in them. The bull I shot had a broadhead in his back left hip from last year. As we we're quartering him up our knife hit an internal puss pocket and puss blew out everywhere. I called game and fish onsite letting him know that we were taking everything but that quarter. He said he was okay with it.

• Like 3

So did you give him his broadhead back and give him a big azz chewing for hunting elk with a bow? I'm just wondering what all this drama was about... Ed F

• Like 1

So did you give him his broadhead back and give him a big azz chewing for hunting elk with a bow? I'm just wondering what all this drama was about... Ed F

Yes of course thats what I did azz hat! I am just trying to make you stickflickers aware that these are big animals that ARE tough to kill sometimes even with a gun. They deserve our respect and the propper equipment to harvest them. 300gr setups are NOT ideal for such a heavy boned animal. Both of the archers made kill shots with a 600gr arrow as they both hit bone. Fast and flat may be cool but not optimal imho. The ho hum attitude I am sensing about this is disturbing to me.

I can remember back a few yrs well - back a lot more than a few yrs

2 co workers whom drew archery elk tags - after the season I asked how'd they do

I was shocked by the reply - oh we shot 6 or 7 during the season - and finally got one down on the last day

straight faced - never blinked - laughed and joked about all the shots taken -- I'm sure that's the way the had always hunted and most likely still hunt like that to this day !

Yes of course thats what I did azz hat! I am just trying to make you stickflickers aware that these are big animals that ARE tough to kill sometimes even with a gun. They deserve our respect and the propper equipment to harvest them. 300gr setups are NOT ideal for such a heavy boned animal. Both of the archers made kill shots with a 600gr arrow as they both hit bone. Fast and flat may be cool but not optimal imho. The ho hum attitude I am sensing about this is disturbing to me.

In all my 30 years of bow hunting I've never met anyone who was shooting a 600 gr arrow. Comes down to shot placement. Game and fish has a 30lb minimum for all big game except buffalo which is 40lbs.

I've seen 360 grain arrows kill just as fast as 430 grains.

• Like 1

Nobody tried to wound animals, the guy was probably sick that he lost the elk. He probably doesn't need a ribbing from us

• Like 6

600 grain arrow is needed for elk??!!!

Funny, the one in my avatar must have been a weenie, he died after one shot from an arrow 2/3's that weight.

I like the conversation and there maybe are some folks that don't show the same respect as others do BUT... Its none of your business, nor does everyone have to use a 600 grain arrow to hunt elk for christs sakes.. I think you may be just a little over the top on that one.

The biggest animal I ever let get away was a giant texas whitetail when I was 14. 168 grains of .308 and a bad shot. Same result. It's all about the placement. If they hit bone, it wasn't in the right place.

To each to own man, let it go.

• Like 3