Coach

Got my buck

Well done coach sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. Thanks for sharing.

Nice. if its the girl im thinking of she made a 700 plus yard shot with the A3 guys.

Would not surprise me. She was probably late teens, and based on their optics I'm sure she had access to a serious long-range rifle. All of them were super nice - I hope she got a good one.

Well done coach sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks! Seems the harder I hunt, the luckier I get, lol.

• Like 2

Great story, what caliber were you shooting? Great to see someone shoot offhand.

6.5x284 Norma, the first rifle I built up myself. Based on a Savage .270 action, Shillen barrel and Boyd's stock.

• Like 1

Congrats on a nice lope! What road were you camped off of? I was up there also.

I was right on the intersection of 305 and 340, just NW of Red Butte. Big old water tank there, not far from the old air field.

Hey coach!! Glad ya got a good one, one heck of a goat! Sure was a zoo out there. We only had Friday to hunt last weekend and went back up today and killed a nice buck.

Sincerely

Bob (the guy with the really big optics)

Shadow Valley Outfitters

• Like 1

Hey Bob. Nice meeting you out there. If I had *really* gotten stuck, I'm sure you could've gotten me out the jam. Nasty mud for sure. I would love to see your pix. Feel free to PM me etc. I'd like to hear how your game plan evolved out there.

Sounds like we had about the same strategy. We had scouted some nice goats on the west side but with all the traffic out there we elected to hunt another goat in a more secluded spot. we never did turn him up so We ended up on the west side after all. It was a ZOO over there, absolute guess on where those scouted bucks got pushed to. Emily could only hunt opening day so we all went home for the week. We came back up Friday and a friend glassed up a nice buck that evening, close to where your buck had been hanging out. We met Emily and her dad Russ early AM on saturday, had my buddy glass the buck up and get us in close, maybe too close. One shot at 68yards is all she needed

Congrats again on the goat!!

post-1932-0-48584300-1476018118_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I was right on the intersection of 305 and 340, just NW of Red Butte. Big old water tank there, not far from the old air field.

We were off the 347 road. Everywhere that we scouted before season must have been where almost everybody else did also. We took a nasty two track that was puddles of water most the way and found a buck that was away from everyone so it worked out for us opening morning.