Sign in to follow this  
lonne

Bear in the Pines

Last year was my first year hunting San Carlos after many years hearing about it. San Carlos is definitely a place of dreams. Foggy cold rainy mountains, remote high desert, abundant water and animal life.

It has a known reputation for bear, but it certainly should not be taken for granted. Last year I put in a few days scouting before spotting bear, of which others say there is one lurking around every corner. And truthfully there might be! You have a decent chance of finding a beautiful glassing spot, putting up a pair of binoculars, and glassing up an Arizona bear. You very well may just luck out.

At the same time, if you don't put in the hard work, and simply go there and expect to see a bear, you may be as disappointed as elsewhere in Arizona. A decent amount of hard work is required unless you are lucky and go to a known spot for a bears, and look a little harder than most - after all most people do not go seeking bears.

This year a guide is required, and likely in future years. This year I was definitely impaired by getting admitted to and starting the ASU MBA program at W.P. Carey. From January to Fall, I was overwhelmed at work with various distractions and it was probably one of my least hunted years in the many I'm fond of.

I was very happy to make it out, and a good part of me was happy just to get out there and come home empty handed. But of course the determined side wanted its way also.

A friend of mine who I expected to tag out before I got there and works harder than anyone I know for a bear, expectedly tagged out before I got there. I didn't know it yet. I had just completed my ASU Final Exam, after almost no sleep for 2 weeks, and while I studied hard I knew the exam didn't go as well as I liked. I was ready to get away from it all. I sent a text message to my friend saying I had a weird feeling they got a bear. With that, I hit the sack.

I woke up to see a text, a few voicemails, and a pic of them and their bear. Wow! And got a few tips about more bears in the area and another decent sized bear hitting a tank.

I got out late for the first night's hunt. Sat water. And heard something above me huffing and puffing. Nothing came in though. Meeting up with the guide again later that evening I dropped my rife, hard! So much for all the hard work I had put in long distance shooting in last year. I had dropped my rifle a few times but didn't think the scope was off - it was never off for me before. Well, in an opportunity I'll probably never get again, a nice size bear came to water the next morning 6am and I grazed it! It seemed a little bewildered but we didn't find much blood at all. I was pretty calm on my shot, but I totally hurried it!!! With very little relaxed focus. I kept up hope it might be around, but the initial blood trail was absolutely awful compared to animals I've been in pursuit of in past. The initial blood was almost nothing; I could have cut myself and dropped that small blood. In fact I didn't even see initial blood but it was there.

I didn't have a good feeling about the shot. My guides felt opposite and we searched for at least 3 hours all over the mountainside and never made it past the first initial feet. I was very confident this bear was fine and maybe I'd get a chance next year.

Not knowing the area I was in well, I worked with my guides to go hit a hot spot I had got my last year's bear. We went there for a few days and no bears! Not a single one. My thought is they were there and ate up the food source and moved on. Bears sure are nomads. After almost a week, I was unfortunately going back to work the next day and on my last day of the hunt. No matter how well you think you know a spot, don't expect to tag out without scouting!

At the same time, we checked my rifle and it was 4 MOA north at 100 yds. I mostly blame my grazing shot on myself, but it helped me understand how I could miss such a pretty easy shot considering I was aiming to break the bear's spine.

At this point, I expected completely to go home without a bear and that would not be much unlike many hunts before. Shortly before I got my bear we were listening to a song Seminole Wind which I'll never forget. My Indian guide even fell asleep and took a nap before we saw the bear. He woke up from his sleep saying he'd had a dream that I was going to shoot a red bear. At this point last day of the hunt midday my faith was very low but it was entertaining spirituality. But the magic of San Carlos surely lives. I said a prayer to God Almighty for a chance to redeem myself if I hadn't proved myself completely unworthy. We went to a last chance spot where some bears had been recently and were getting ready to glass when a bear started moving in the woods to the side of us. We pursued and at about 100 yards took a shot. Last year I took my bear in one shot at double the distance. I was a nervous wreck at the thought of missing or wounding this bear from pure disappointment and lack of preparation I earned earlier in the week. I took a solid shot after taking my time. This bear was one tough bear. It was immediately wounded, but on pursuit it was mortally wounded and could not keep much distance on us. I also hit it with a 454 pistol at close range before it climbed a tree with a growl, and I shot it again with my 30-06, and with delayed reaction it fell. I think back, wow, I was so close what if that bear decided to charge me at 10 yds, would my 454 have stopped it? I'm sure it would have with a well placed shot, but I'm still awed how incredibly tough this bear was.

Thanks to Verdell, & Dustin Boni at Native Hunting Adventures. And also Martin for his friendship and knowledge on the hunt. I always like DIY hunts, but this year with SC guide required, these guys were great and had excellent knowledge. Thanks to the Apaches for letting us hunt on the reservation. Thanks to SC Game and Fish. Thanks to Dan Juan, SC Game and Fish biologist always for encouraging to enjoy hunting there.

Happy Hunting,

Lonne

post-8714-0-40375600-1476753096.jpg

post-8714-0-31436800-1476753107_thumb.png

• Like 8

Congrats

"But the magic of San Carlos surely lives." Quote of the hunt. Way to keep your head in the game with finale wracking your brain.

Dang thats a nice bear! Congrats!

Thanks all! And Keith, you're the best bear mentor anyone could ever have. Rock solid guy, and the most determined bear hunter I've ever seen. You make a 20 mile walk in a day look easy although it does hurt me later. LOL. I don't know if it pays as much but I wouldn't be suprised if bear hunting magazines asked you to write for them.

Wow man great write up! Way to hang in there and getting'er done!!!!

Awesome bear

It seems like forever that I was last on cwt after years of not missing a day before I retired. Got to talk with Keith last night and he told me a little about your hunt Lonne. You certainly shot a beautiful bear and wrote an awesome write-up. Congratulations!

TJ