Sign in to follow this  
azrcks

Another backpack hunt

I thought I would post my last two deer I have been fortunate to take. This was our second year in a row of packing in. This year was way hot but we pushed in and dealt with it. After several years of passing up many bucks looking for the elusive 100" mark I managed to go back to back years of hitting that mark. This year year was tough as we located a nice buck and watched him for a few days as he stayed just out of range (1000 to 1300 yards out) On the third day he made the fateful mistake of breaking the 1000 yard mark and I took him with a single shot at 820 yards, and yes from the pic it was a head shot, did not ruin the cape and the meat was untouched!! In total we were in for 5 days, 18 miles hiked and packed out 2 deer. Below are pics of both deer and a cool picture of an old pick we found in the middle of no where.

20161023_103830_zpsvxsdeugu.jpg

VZM.IMG_20161023_192746_zpsskjzus8t.jpg

20161023_103955_zpsz5vsyxxz.jpg

IMG_3882_zpsjm61udpa.jpg

20151106_094119_zpsu1svwiv1.jpg

20161025_120320_zpsqi6j6qjn_edit_1480432

20160319_141116_zpsocjr1gop.jpg

• Like 13

Great bucks- congrats- just curious which rack in the picture scored higher..... the rack on the right? The one on the left looks bigger with longer beams and eye guards - but the right has longer points

Which hunt dates- if you packed in during the first two hunts.... it was very hot.

Thanks, the one with the big eye guards (last years buck) scored 104. The one with longer tines scored 107. They actuall both had 17" beams but the 104 had more inside width and mass. We hunted the October hunt.

Great job but where is the picture of Georges buck? I can't believe that I have been over to your house twice without seeing this years buck.

Great Bucks! Congrats. It's always amazing at the stuff you come across in the middle of nowhere.

Did you some run ins with any snakes?

Great job but where is the picture of Georges buck? I can't believe that I have been over to your house twice without seeing this years buck.

Yup, I know!! Here is Georges buck, his first 3x3.

20161021_183239_zpsppjyk1fv.jpg

• Like 2

Great Bucks! Congrats. It's always amazing at the stuff you come across in the middle of nowhere.

Did you some run ins with any snakes?

Amazingly enough we did not run into any snakes but scouting we ran into this pretty Black Tail rattler.

20160319_152919_zpszuglvfjg.jpg

Great job and cool bucks! I love the picture of the old pick! Did you pack it out? I definately would have.

• Like 1

Thanks, the one with the big eye guards (last years buck) scored 104. The one with longer tines scored 107. They actuall both had 17" beams but the 104 had more inside width and mass. We hunted the October hunt.

Thanks for the reply... the rack with the long eye guards with the mass seems bigger but I have noted a couple of times looking bigger and scoring bigger are two different things- fantastic bucks any day of the week. October was brutally hot

Thanks for the comments. I did not pack out the pick although I am thinking on a day trip to go get it. As for the Kuiu gear, I think it is phenomenal, the Tiburon pants and 125 merino top worked great in the heat. As for catclaw, they are not as tough as firehose pants or jeans. They were designed to be light weight and super comfortable where other pants are designed to be tough, there is a trade off. I have gone thru catclaw and you will get snags as with any other fabric. For the most part our area is decent for working around the catclaw, when I do go thru it I just step on it to create a path. Anyways I could go on forever on the Kuiu stuff, warning though once you get a piece or two you want more and it gets addicting. Thank god they do the 30% off once a year.

Congratulations on a couple of great bucks and I agree 100% on your Kuiu opinion.