idgaf

Is this to Judgemental?

I'm well aware that was COWZ preference, but I am pretty sure the last time most Americans used 19th century English was over 100 years ago.

attachicon.gifimages.jpg

Modern day English shouldn't impact the pronunciation of a surname.

I listen to music on the radio.

Me too. I have never listened to a podcast. Have no intentions on doing so. And if you call it a COWZ deer with me, you ride in the back of the truck.

Brian

• Like 2

Clearly, I don't have enough free time on my hands. I've never heard a podcast from anyone.

While a passenger in a buddy's truck, I was obliged to hear a podcast. It totally sucked, I learned nothing from it and the toilet humor took me back to the 5th grade. That entire time I was thinking, my buddy's got Johnny Cash's greatest hits on CD, why the heck ain't we listening to that?
  • Like 1

Me too. I have never listened to a podcast. Have no intentions on doing so. And if you call it a COWZ deer with me, you ride in the back of the truck.

Brian

Brian

lets start our own show, cows deers and crappies (pronounced crappy).

Brian

Brian

lets start our own show, cows deers and crappies (pronounced crappy).

Heck ya. Crappy!! Drives me nuts when people say it that way

Brian

• Like 1

I'm not convinced anyone can say with absolute certainty how a man who died 118 years ago pronounced his name. It may have been nothing at all like what his descendants are saying today. Elliott Coues had been dead fewer than 50 years when I first hunted deer in Arizona in 1948, and the very few people I encountered as I was growing up who knew the proper common name for our little deer pronounced it "Coos." Most hunters, though, called them "whitetails," "desert whitetails," or "Arizona whitetails." I'm not certain when Coues' name became widely used, but as best as this old mind can remember, it was in the early to mid-1970s. It's only been in the last 25 years of so that those who insist we should say "Cows" have become so vocal. --- Bill Quimby

• Like 6

I'll keep pronouncing it 'Coos,' sounds more exotic and intriguing than saying, 'Cows.'

tomato-tomato

I was born and raised in the Show Low area and had a father that loved to hunt, trap, call etc... he was a diehard outdoorsmans. He was and is a Mule Deer fanatic. He read in an old "hunters Encyclopedia" that the correct pronunciation was Cows. From the time I was born that is the way I was taught. I have "evolved" over the last 20 years to say Coos because most everyone thinks you are a snobbish non-hunter know it all, if you say Cows.

Since I have an affinity for these whitetail I have spent a fair amount of time trying to research the correct pronunciation and I believe it actually rhymes with House. Either way I normally still say Coos or usually just whitetail.

I love these deer.

0716161626_zpsb99lv0h4.jpg

• Like 4

I was born and raised in the Show Low area and had a father that loved to hunt, trap, call etc... he was a diehard outdoorsmans. He was and is a Mule Deer fanatic. He read in an old "hunters Encyclopedia" that the correct pronunciation was Cows. From the time I was born that is the way I was taught. I have "evolved" over the last 20 years to say Coos because most everyone thinks you are a snobbish non-hunter know it all, if you say Cows.

Since I have an affinity for these whitetail I have spent a fair amount of time trying to research the correct pronunciation and I believe it actually rhymes with House. Either way I normally still say Coos or usually just whitetail.

I love these deer.

0716161626_zpsb99lv0h4.jpg

We definately need to see more pics of your trophy wall. That's a very impresive wall of "Cows" Deer!!!!!

It cracks me up that so many guys can spend time reading through these threads (in general), researching the topic (to be right), take the time to type up a response and proof it several times to make sure they are not made fun of for spelling errors (I am not excluding myself) and then.....

only 1-2 can find the time to attend a Game and Fish meeting as an advocate. (and its usually the same guys every time)

It cracks me up that so many guys can spend time reading through these threads (in general), researching the topic (to be right), take the time to type up a response and proof it several times to make sure they are not made fun of for spelling errors and then.....

only 1-2 can find the time to attend a Game and Fish meeting as an advocate. (and its usually the same guys every time)

I am not excluding myself.

bro we have google now, you dont have to go to the index cards in the library anymore to do research

• Like 3