idgaf

Is this to Judgemental?

Clearly, I don't have enough free time on my hands. I've never heard a podcast from anyone.

I'm with you. A while back, one of my supervisors was telling me about a podcast related to some crazy subject, suggesting I listen to it. I told her I didn't even own an iPod, so I wasn't sure how I could listen to a podcast. The look and response I received shows how much I know about what a podcast is.

When I first moved to Arizona, I pronounced it "Coos" just like everyone else, then I learned the real pronunciation of Elliot Coues' name. I started pronouncing it correctly because 1) out of respect for the man; 2) I'm a biologist/taxonomist; 3) my last name is hard enough to pronounce for many people, so I figured I'd give him that much more respect (I want people to know my last name 100 years after I'm gone); and 4) I'm one of those that will purposely go against the "norm" because I have authority issues.

Having said that, I crack up every time I see "the name debate", but its good to see people so passionate about something. In the last year or so, I've gotten lazy and started saying "Coos" again. I could care less how someone pronounces it and I certainly wouldn't make someone sit in the back of my truck or not take them hunting because of it. That, in my humble opinion, is being too judgmental, especially when we're supposed to be on the same side (hunting/conservation). With my biology/taxonomy/wildlife management background, I'd be a lonely, lonely man if I got buthurt every time somebody pronounced something wrong or used the wrong common names (like "timber rattlesnakes" in Arizona). I've even learned to refer to javelina as "pigs"...but I do get a little defensive when people try to tell me they are rodents.

It always takes me back to the time when one of my dad's army buddy's girlfriends proceeded to tell me that she had a "chicken hawk" flying all over her ranch. She knew (adamantly) that it was a chicken hawk because every time it swooped over, her chickens acted crazy. All I could do was nod my head and say something like "They're effective predators; that's for sure!"

Clearly, I don't have enough free time on my hands. I've never heard a podcast from anyone.

I'm with you. A while back, one of my supervisors was telling me about a podcast related to some crazy subject, suggesting I listen to it. I told her I didn't even own an iPod, so I wasn't sure how I could listen to a podcast. The look and response I received shows how much I know about what a podcast is.

i thought the exact same thing.

I have zero knowledge as to how French is pronounced, but I find it interesting that a French speaker said "Coues" would rhyme with "juice." If that is how ol' Elliott pronounced his name in the mid-19th century before it was "Americanized" to "Cows" in the 20th century, this would explain a lot. To my ears, "joo-ees" and "coo-ees" are not that far apart, and it's not a big jump from there to "coos." ......... .Incidentally for those who lament the lack of sportsmen's participation at Game and Fish Commission meetings, as a newspaper reporter I attended nearly every commission meeting from 1967 to 1994 and seldom saw testimony from the public cause the panel to vote against a departmental recommendation. --- Bill Quimby

Sako, tomato, Casa Grande, Bowie, coues, Bruce/Caitlyn, .... Say them however you want. However if by pronouncing it correctly you received another bonus point in the draw, then I hope you all keep saying it wrong and me and Mr Coues (Cows) will continue chasing the dream.

• Like 1

I unsubscribed when he called Conservative voters a bunch of "tea baggers" on one if his first podcast.

I have never had much use for him.

Lol leave it to a Democrat to call it a cowz

I dont care what the french pronunciation is as I am not french. So I will pronounce Coues the American way. By the way spell check wants it to be Roues, Moues, or Cokes. :rolleyes: