Sign in to follow this  
CouesPursuit

Hunting Arrow Weights

What are you wheel bow hunters shooting for arrows weights and what is your field experience with its adjustment effecting velocity and penetration? Do your broadheads change your set up?

I personally just threw myself for a loop and wouldn't mind some advice. I shoot VAPs and went to 92gr stainless inserts a couple years ago for strength and energy to expand broadheads, instead of my previous aluminum inserts that did bend in a few instances.

The dilemma is I chronoed my older, lighter VAP and it is FAR out-penetrating the newer, heavier VAP.

413gr vs 468gr

305 FPS vs 290 FPS

post-3844-0-00976700-1483749623_thumb.jpg

Would appreciate any thoughts on if I should revisit a lighter insert, although I would never use Penetrator alumimuns again.

For broadhead reference I typically quiver 3 100gr gravediggers and 2 Muzzy MX-3s. They pattern identical to 60 yards. Thanks!

In the last 10 years I have shot between 380 and 480 grain fast bows and slow bows I've killed 10 or 11 animals. Everyone has been a complete pass through I took one follow-up shot on a bull elk that did not pass through but hit right in the thickest spot of the shoulder

I don't think foam is a good judge of real world penetration

All of my bows have shot heavier arrows 430-460grains, travelling anywhere from 295fps to 312fps, and shooting 100gr grim reaper 3 blade expandable broadheads. Over the course of 4 mule deer 1 bull elk and 5 javelina, every arrow was a pass through. Even on a mature mule deer at 80 yards, didn't matter if it was in a shoulder blade or not. Just crushed everything.

And I agree, foam isn't too accurate to judge in my opinion.

As far as impact point shifting when shifting when changing from field points to broadheads it may be partly a shooter issue. I generally shoot both to about the same point of impact, my partner does not. We shoot the same bow and both use 100 gr thunderheads. This has held true for years and with various shafts. We can't explain it. Thunderheads may be a bit old school but they are tough. I have actually had one penetrate a rock and pulled it out in usable condition.

post-15248-0-74248600-1484899863_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Ive been shooting 380 grains at 275 fps for years and have seen those arrows blow right through coues, mule deer, Nebraska whitetails and javelina. I do not believe mine would pass through on a shoulder hit, but I think yours probably would as youre driving a lot more ke down range than my srtup is.

Either way, you have more than sufficient ke, so just pick what you like and what you feel shoots the best, then don't lose any sleep over it.

For what its worth, every year women and youth hunters kill deer, bears elk and all kinds of other stuff shooting low ke 40# bows and light arrows. Sure more ke doesnt hurt anything, but at some point it goes beyond whats necessary and becomes marketing gibberish. Like advertising 500hp cars that'll go 200 mph... who cares, buying it wont add an inch to anything and neither will shooting a bow that drives telephone poles down range at 400 fps. So dont obsess over it.

• Like 1

I seem to settle on a different recipe every year. I believe its just my obsession with tinkering and playing with things until I've satisfied the OCD child inside me.

Last fall I built shafts that were 11gpi, 150gr broadheads, and 4-fletch feathers. They came out at 485gr at about 250fps. They shot extremely well and I was completely satisfied with what they did and did not do. They produced a very quiet and solid feeling shot and inspired confidence. In the end, that's what we all want out of our gear: confidence, from whatever perspective, that it'll get the job done no matter what. Having said all that, I may try a marginally lighter arrow this year to try and eek out a little more range from my rig. Might not make much of a difference but I'll give it a shot.