Sign in to follow this  
WHALE

Rutting Coues

I filled my OTC 2017 archery deer tag this weekend. This was my 10th archery buck and one of the funnest. I had spotted my buck pushing a doe while I was making a move on another group of coues that were 3/4 of a mile away.

I watched as my buck would chase a forker from his doe about three times in 45 minutes. Finally at about 10:30 all the deer began to bed, first the forker, then the two doe, my buck and a spike. The deer had bedded just out of the wind below a finger ridge and I thought this would be my best stalk so I began the big loop that would put me above the deer.

I crept over the ridge and found myself right where I was hoping to be. I ranged the buck at 70 and heard the wack of a hit but couldn't tell where I had hit. He ran about 30 yards and was standing on the edge of the canyon but all I could see was his head and back. I watched as the other deer started standing up out of there beds and then watched as the buck started swaying back and forth. He ended up making it 40 yards after the shot.

Great day of watching coues rut and filling a tag.

The wife and kids came out and helped.

post-3109-0-98195900-1483931324_thumb.jpg

post-3109-0-68673600-1483932355_thumb.jpg

post-3109-0-89602700-1483932377_thumb.jpg

• Like 22

Dude thats a sweet buck! As mentioned above you're a beast with a bow! Congrats man!

• Like 1

Thanks guys. It's funny I hunted for six years trying to get my first bow kill. Now when I see certain situations ( wind, terrain, time of day, etc.) I can kind of tell if the stalk will work or not. It's always nice though when luck is on your side.

• Like 2

Congratulations on another fine buck. Sounds like a great day, especially sharing it with your family.

• Like 1

Awesome!! Very nice buck!! Congratulations!!

• Like 1

Thanks again for the sight CouesPursuit I love it and used it on this hunt.

• Like 1