Sign in to follow this  
rossislider

Cabelas Anaknak vs Traditional Canvas

I am curious if anyone has any personal first hand experience with both the Cabelas Anaknak tents and the more traditional canvas outfitter tents and can compare them. Most curious about comparisons in:

• Durability of the material
  • Heat retention
  • Overall value

Thanks

I know you are looking for an opinion from someone who has experience with BOTH, but as an Alaknak owner I'm going to chime in anyway (even though I've never owned a canvas wall tent... ^_^ ).

LOVE the Alaknak! I have had the 12x12 size for 8 years now. I also have the vestibule that adds lots of extra space for stuff or chilling-out if camping for an extended period of time or with more than the normal load of gear to keep dry. I have taken it on numerous hunting and camping trips with the kids and friends over the years, and have found it to be a great tent. Positives: Fairly light, easy to set-up, great in rain (water proof), outstanding in wind! Negatives: The only negative that I can think of is that it does not breath quite like canvas does, so it can tend to get a little 'steamy' and have condensation collect on the ceiling in cold weather.

I had a barrel stove that I used in it for a couple of years, and that was great too. Of course kept it sauna hot inside, and the pipe/chimney set-up and zipped floor flap for the stove made it convenient. (I ended-up not using the stove as much as I had anticipated though, and sold it after a couple of years.....)

Hopefully someone will speak-up that has experience with both.

Good luck in your search for the right tent for you!!

S.

:)

• Like 2

I have the biggest standard tent Davis makes (16X20) with all the set up(stove, vinyl floor, added door and windows). I went this route with the internal frame for stability. I was always afraid of an alaknak tearing either from the pole rings or their sewn in floor. not that I have seen one tear but just for me because I have the worst luck with anything. I set up a huge tarp on the floor and then the vinyl flooring they have and have never gotten even a little bit wet on the inside. I can set it all up myself in less than an hour and with help even less than that. I would take a hard look at Davis if your in the market my buddy stayed with me in mine and went and bought one for his family. by all means its a lot of funds to dish out but you will not regret it I don't think with either one.

• Like 2

I have experience with both I don't think you can go wrong with either one its a personal thing, both will get toasty in them even in the snow with a stove, but Stanley is right about the condensation, I have never had that problem with the canvas

• Like 1

I have the Outback Lodge, sets up similar to the Alaknak, I get tired of dodging the center pole. I picked up the Bighorn II, room, bright, set up for a stove if you want it, has a floor and I picked up a painters canvas drop cloth from Home Depot that I put down as a liner, cheaper that the one offered by Cabela's and I just throw it in the washer if it gets muddy. Both tents build up condensation at night, so they don't breathe like the canvas ones.

• Like 1

I have a Montana canvas 12x17 with no cutout for a stove or window, but I do have screened doors at each end. It is 18 years old, with a KwikKamp internal frame. I have had to shorten the leg poles and rafter poles a couple of times because of shrinkage. I have never re-sealed the exterior with canvak or any other type of sealer. It has never leaked a drop of rain. The internal frame set up will withstand high winds and I have had it snow several inches on it with no problems at all. It weighs well over 100 pounds without the frame and is kind of cumbersome. It's been a great tent.

I have a good friend who owns the Alaknak. It is the largest model they sale with two add on vestibules. After staying in that tent for a couple of weeks at different times If I had it to do over again I would go with the Alaknak. Significantly less weight, adaptability with the add on vestibules, overall the quality and the engineering and thought that went into this tent is outstanding.

• Like 2

I have a Wilderness 16x20 from the wall tent shop and i love it. I bought it last year and have used if for a few winter camping trip and its been great. My yukon 5 stove keep the tent comfortably warm even for my girl friend who is perpetually cold. It fits my hole family comfortably and all our gear. This is my first wall tent and the guys at the wall tent shop was very helpful in helping me decided what would best fit my need. Over all I am very pleased with my tent and the service I received.

• Like 2

You can put the synthetic away damp. Just leave the zippered bag open for a few days. Canvas subject to mold.

• Like 1

I have the Alaknak 12x12 with all the options. It is a great tent. It is 11 years old and shows very little wear. A propane heater will keep it plenty warm down into the 20's. A wood stove will keep it toasty at 10 degrees. The vestibule adds a lot of extra room. I have a little experience in canvas tents. I can't handle the musty smell.

• Like 1

I've had the 12x20 Alaknak for six years. It definitely has its ups and downs. Durability is not on par with a canvas tent. After 6 years there are several spots I can see thru the fabric in the roof. Although it's probably been used more in that time than most people will ever use their tent, average about 2 months per year. It will not handle the snow load that a wall tent will, had mine come crashing down under about 3".

As far as holding heat a wall tent is way easier to keep warm, also condensation is horrible in the Alaknak.

Now for the good. Way less weight, I can put the whole tent in one box and still load it easily. I can set it up by myself in about 40 mins. It stands up to most weather conditions well, and it's made it through 70mph wind.

Over all I'm fairly happy with the Alaknak and it's made some long trips pretty comfortable, but my next tent will be a regular canvas wall tent 12x14 with 12x 10 cook shack, internal frame, and a floor in the tent only.

• Like 1

I have the 14 x 16 wilderness tent from the wall tent store internal frame stove tarp for a floor screen doors and zipper doors on both side windows on opposite sides I love it it's. It's weathered it's share of storms. Even in the summer doors open and screen closed it's very comfy

• Like 1

Rossislider, I'm curious what you decided to go with? After this year's elk hunt in a summer tent with temps in single digits, I won't do that again.

I ended up going a slightly different route. Since I traditionally don't need anything overly large I got a Kodiak Canvas 10x14 Flex Bow tent. It is built like a tank and very easy to put up and take down. It doesn't have a stove pipe option for the cold weather, but I picked up one of the Mr. Heater Big Buddy heaters that is more than sufficient for what I need. I was able to get a steal on it new last spring for under $400. I also picked up a couple of painters drop cloths from Harbour Freight that I put on the floor to help keep it clean and nicer to walk around in bare foot. It is a fantastic setup!

http://www.kodiakcanvas.com/10-x-14-ft-flex-bow-canvas-tent-deluxe/

• Like 1