Sign in to follow this  
AZhuntingfamily

Rosy Waterdogs?

Give them a try !- dogs will run $5 a dozen or more these days - if you can find them

riggem any way you like - can be fished any time of day

for cats - right at dusk - they like to hang up in the rocks a lot if just fished off bottom

use a river rig - 1oz weight - swivel - 4 ft leader with a inline clear boober at 3 ft - then hook with dog on end - this keeps it swimming off the bottom less chance of it getting caught in rocks

other opt- down 5 -6 ft on a bobber with a small split shot

my biggest bass was at pleasant on a water dog - casting to towers - no weight - just let it swim - hand linin or open spool 7 lber

guy asked how deep I was fishing - answer as deep as the waterdog wanted to go

other than that - castin and slow retrieve will get it done too .

can't hardly kill a waterdog as long as its in water -

I found a guzzler in 4b one time that was plumb full of them. Maybe that's common?

The only ones I've ever seen in real life, not a bait shop were in a creek in either 4a or 4b.

I found a guzzler in 4b one time that was plumb full of them. Maybe that's common?

The only ones I've ever seen in real life, not a bait shop were in a creek in either 4a or 4b.

We used to seine them all the time in dirt tanks. Been times that you could get several thousand out of a tank. With the drought now days, hard to find tanks that do go dry that will hold them over.

Brian

Well looks like were going to go for it! Ill be down at windy point with the family mid march for 3 days then 3 days at Apache. The bait shop in mesa said they have waterdogs and plan to have them still come march $24.99 a dozen. They seem to be the only ones selling them.

If anyone has a lead on cheaper dogs let me know.

Thanks!

I have fished Apache one time and didnt do good at all. It wasnt during the spawn so maybe it will be different for us this year. Any thoughts on where to camp? I like to pull the boat up on the shore overnight next to our camp spot. It seems like Apache is all cliffs from what I have seen.

Rossy got the Florida strain bass that were planted a year or two ago.

I have fished Apache one time and didnt do good at all. It wasnt during the spawn so maybe it will be different for us this year. Any thoughts on where to camp? I like to pull the boat up on the shore overnight next to our camp spot. It seems like Apache is all cliffs from what I have seen.

you can camp at burnt corral and pull your boat up. you can camp by the main ramp and park your boat in a slip, or stay in the hotel and do the same. the quality is better at apache, and you catch a lot more smallmouth than roosevelt too. i usually just drop shot roboworms on 1/8th oz weight