Coues Archer

Long range scope help???

Hello guys, so I just bought a new 7mm rem mag with a 26 inch barrel and well I want to get a new scope for it. The two scopes I have narrowed down are nikon since I've always had amazing success with them. That being said the two scopes are the 'Nikon Buckmasters 6-18x40' and the 'Nikon prostaff 5 4-18x40'. The buckmasters scope has 50 MOA of adjustment and the Prostaff 5 has 40 MOA of adjustment. My only question is will this be enough adjustment to shoot out to 1000 yards?? P.S. I will be installing a 20 MOA piccatinny rail so maybe both will be sufficient for this range, anyhow let me know what you guys think. Any info is much appreciated.

Assume the zeroes at 100 yards fairly centered and there are 20 MOA up and 20 MOA down. You won't know till the scope is mounted. Now add 20 MOA up from the rail to the 20 MOA up in the scope. You have 40 MOA at 1000 yards, 40 x 10 = 400 inches. My .308 shows 465 Inch drop at 1000 drop my .300 RUM shows 202 inch drop at 1000. Your 7 mag will be closer to the .300 RUM than the .308. You should be ok with either unless you have to use up a whole bunch of up clicks to zero the scope.

• Like 1

Find the best scope you can afford and try to buy one step better...better glass is always better...

I am just getting into long range, and working on getting better than basic scopes so I don't have a lot of room to talk yet, but I do know to get the best you can afford. Don't skimp on a scope or mounts.

If you can't see it, you can't hit it. If you are going to get a scope to dial up and down make sure you read up on it's repeatability. If you can't get back to zero consistently then it isn't worth it.

My budget is $500 including the scope rings and rail. I know you guys say to buy a scope worth a lot n what not but I just don't believe in spending $1000 plus in glass for a scope. I have killed 2 coues +725 yards with a .243 which was pretty tough but with a lot of time in reloading and cooking up a great bullet you'll be surprised what your rifle can do. Anyways I made these shots with a basic cabelas pine ridge scope for $150.

• Like 1

If better than the two scopes I posted that is.... I've done a ton of research but I have heard a lot of great things about these two scopes for the $$$.

a 7mm mag will require around 24-28 moa to get to 1000 depending on bullet choice and velocity. With a 20moa rail you should be fine but if you wanted a little insurance you could always use Burris signature zee rings with the pos align inserts that have another available 20 moa available in 5 moa increments to use if you need it. That being said the only thing I would warn against the Nikon scopes is anything over 14 power generally has 1/8 minute adjustments. This makes dialing anything past 500 or so very challenging as you start getting into multiple revolutions of the turrets. I have a 6-18x40 buckmaster that I love but I hate the 1/8 adjustments.

• Like 1

Not technically designed for your rifle's ballistics, but I had a Nixon M-223 3-12x42 on an AR for a while, and it was pretty good for the price.

You can look into Athlon Argos which is around 350 but competes at a 500 range or look into the Athlon Midas 4.5-27x50 which is 590 dollars but all the reviews I've seen beat out the 900 dollar vortex PST 6-24x50 .

I know I keep bringing up Athlon but I got a few and they are great glass and cheaper then everyone else.

• Like 2

There is a Leopold vx3 6.5-20 for sale with a turret for sale in the classified section. I have shot my 300wsm with one for probably 10 years. Mine tracks very well

Coues Archer. Buying a scope then a little while later wishing you had bought a better one sucks. I speak from experience. Before you run out and spend your hard earned money consider the following questions.

Is the Nikon the scope you REALLY want?

Do you REALLY just want a scope now to shoot your new gun?

What is the nicest scope you have looked at?

What is the nicest scope that has been mounted on a rifle you have fired?

If you could have any scope for free what models might interest you?

If you were to wait 6 months or a year how much nicer of a scope could you afford?

I recently put a new scope on one of my rifles. I waited a couple of years to get it. Because I waited that scope is a Nightforce NSX instead of a Nikon. My guns all have picatinny rails so during the wait I borrowed scopes from other rifles to shoot that gun. The end result was well worth the wait and scope swapping.

If you need a tool to help you save look at Rifles, Reloading and Gunsmithing for the American Rifle Company thread. I fixed sjvcon up with a "saving tool" and could send you one also

• Like 1

Thanks guys I appreciate the help! But Zeke-BE, how is your experience with the 'argos' model. From what I've researched they are superb glass for the money. Main thing I look for in a scope is the 'turret tracking' and this scope has not a single complaint about that, supposedly very accurate. Clarity was rated good and overall quality was great! Only complaint was that the turrets felt a little spongy in that they had minor play but played no roll in affecting it's accuracy in any way. Let me know what you have experienced with the scope first hand. Also I think it would be cool buying a new brand of scope other than a nikon lol...

You can look into Athlon Argos which is around 350 but competes at a 500 range or look into the Athlon Midas 4.5-27x50 which is 590 dollars but all the reviews I've seen beat out the 900 dollar vortex PST 6-24x50 .

I know I keep bringing up Athlon but I got a few and they are great glass and cheaper then everyone else.

Hey Zeke-BE if you wouldn't mind I'd really appreciate some insight about this scope.